3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   The Most Complete Workout (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/131510-most-complete-workout.html)

inklestinkle 01-15-2008 09:37 PM

The Most Complete Workout

I've tried working out with videos and it's just not working for me right now. ;) I can't workout in a gym either, so no personal training. I've found that I do enjoy working out while watching (or listening if I can't actually look at the) TV, so I figure doing a regular no frills workout routine will do the trick. I have all the equipment and I know how to do the exercises but I'm not sure how much to do.

I know how I'm going to do cardio so I'm not so much worried about that, but I would like to make sure I cover all my bases as far as strength/"circuit" training goes. I want to work every body part possible or many parts at one time... whatever's the most efficient/safe.

So I'm just wondering, what all should I do to have the most complete workout possible? (stuff like lifting weights, squats, crunches, etc.)

I'm confused by all the info out there... I don't want to do too little or too much or something that's not safe or effective.

vixjean 01-15-2008 11:51 PM

dancing to your favorite song,
jumping jacks, aerobics, dancing
squats, leg lifts, abs
total 30 to 45 minutes to get you started.

baffled111 01-16-2008 12:10 AM

Squats and pushups. :)

inklestinkle 01-16-2008 12:41 AM

I'm trying to plan this out and this is what I have on my list so far:

Warm up:
- stretch
- light jog

Legs:
- lunges
- squats
- plie squats

Arms:
- push ups
- curls
- tricep dips
- chest presses
- shoulder presses
- rows
- lateral raises
- tricep extensions

Core:
- crunches

Cool down:
- walk on treadmill
- stretch

I feel like I might have too many arm workouts and too few of other areas. :/

Any suggestions?

kaw 01-16-2008 06:31 AM

Inklestinkle: you're right -- too many isolation (one- or two-muscle) movements for the arms. Here are the changes I would make:

Lose:
  • triceps extensions: redundant with dips, and 99% of people do them wrong anyway
  • chest presses: unnecessary if you're doing pushups
  • lateral raises: isolation exercise, not necessary (for now)

Add:
  • deadlifts. Work your hamstrings (back of the leg) better than anything you have on the list so far
  • a core lower back exercise: Supermans or bridges
  • planks: side for obliques, front for compound core

In terms of the confusion of information out there, a great place to start -- and, really, all you'll need for a long time -- is Krista Scott Dixon's free and commercial-free site, www.stumptuous.com. Click on "iron" and read, read, read! (I see she has some new vids up of many of the core exercises, plus great tips on squat form.)

Be strong,
Kim

inklestinkle 01-16-2008 12:49 PM

Thanks for the advice! And the link... ;)

I'm not sure if I have a bar anymore to do dead lifts. I have a ton of dumbbells but the barbells are in storage until we get a bigger house.

Botzz 01-16-2008 01:39 PM

Right now I take a walk that lasts 15-20 mins (as long as weather permits), then 15 minutes on a stationary bike, after the bike its onto push ups, squats and crunches. no weights just yet I am saving that for when I drop a few lbs and strengthen myself up a little more as I have neglected working out for quite a while now, and I keep dead lifts out partially because of the no weights yet and partially because of a back injury I got a few years back and I just started working out again and trying to lose a whole lotta weight. I would hate to take myself out of the game because of too much to start.

I agree that there are too many isolation moves on your list if you are doing them all in one workout, you can work almost all that you need to just by doing dead lifts, squats and push ups or bench presses. I also agree with doing bridges, I would also try and keep push and pull exercises for different days, meaning if you work your chest on day one also work your triceps and maybe squats (push exercises). and for day 2, dead lifts, curls and rows etc (pull exercises). at least thats how I did it when I was lifting weights, which was all through my late teens to mid 20's and had great results. doing it this way gives your muscles in either group (push or pull) a whole day off to recoup. I hope some of this info helps you out good luck!

As Ever
Me

inklestinkle 01-16-2008 02:24 PM

So here's my workout:

Warm up:
- stretch
- light jog

Legs:
- lunges
- squats
- plie squats

Arms:
- push ups
- curls
- tricep dips
- shoulder presses
- rows

Core:
- crunches
- bridges
- planks

Cool down:
- walk on treadmill
- stretch

Thanks for the advice so far! I might switch it up between two days... never thought about that.

Now I just need to make sure I have a stretching routine that's goes along with the workout.

stacylambert 01-16-2008 05:37 PM

You can still do the deadlifts with dumbbells. I do this fairly often, especially if I'm doing straight leg deadlifts. You'll want to make sure your working your hamstrings to keep balance between them and your quadriceps. If you don't feel comfortable doing the deadlifts with dumbbells you could do the ball bridge with hamstring curl which also works your core and glutes at the same time.

rainlips 01-21-2008 01:13 AM

Ideas

I just started working out and have yet to get a routine down. I am thinking about run/walk everyday for 30-40min. Then 3 days a week do strengh training. Do I need to up the run/walk to longer or is this ok? I have been doing the training but it has been hit or miss. So I have to buckle down. I have been doing all this and watching what I eat but i have haveing a hard time getting my weight below 150. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks everyone.:flow1: