Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation Foot injury - still wants to exercise

My exercise buddy has a foot injury, she can't really walk, jog or use machines (elliptical, treadmill, bike). She doesn't want to stop exercising but doesn't know what exercises she can do without hurting her foot. I suggested she can do strength training for her upper body, crunches, and maybe the rowing machine. anyone got any other ideas?
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Strength Training for Upper Body is pretty much what you're limited to.

Depending on the type of injury, she may be able to swim (if she's in a cast or brace, thats a no-go if she can't remove it, obviously). My gym has an "Arm Bike" - its like a stationary bike but just for the arms - I tried using it but it was so awkward and never really got my heartrate up...great for my shoulders, though.

My knee is having issues currently and I'm in the same boat - I can't even bend it, so I'm a little more limited. There are LB strength exercises she could do on strength-training machines (with her Doctor's blessing, of course) that don't require putting any strain on the foot....seated leg extensions, hamstring exercises. Don't know what sort of access she has to the machines though.

Rowing won't work - you put a good deal of pressure on the legs and feet doing that, as you sort of "push" off during the standard row.

Send her lots of shared misery from me!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the suggestion Mandalin. She does the rowing with only one foot but mostly upper body strength workouts.
I hope she gets better soon because its kinda affecting me too. I get lazy when she's not with me doing the exercises. She actually showed up one day and said she'll just sit and watch me for moral support
I hope your knee gets better, I've been there before..ouch.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Does she have acess to a pool? There are many things you can do in the water that don't stress the foot.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #5  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigglyBits View Post
I hope she gets better soon because its kinda affecting me too. I get lazy when she's not with me doing the exercises. She actually showed up one day and said she'll just sit and watch me for moral support
Now that is a good friend!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

What about yoga or pilates?
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote