Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Height: 5'7"

Default Must I join a gym?

Hi, all--
I'm in a bit of a quandry. My local gym--the one I LOVE--is having a special membership price. Now, I want you all to understand that I have gone to this gym in the past--twice! And I've had to drop my membership--twice! because of cost. I got used to exercising at home, although I'm not so good with the discipline. And, while I still long to actually go to a gym again, I'm not sure my wallet can take it.

Is there anyone out there who has had to take their gym exercises at home, for cost or circumstance? What did you do? What kinds of exercises did you perform in substitute?

I walk--Leslie Sansone and I meet regularly. I even do a couple of her variations, using weights and yoga. A part of me would like to continue at home, fearing the money crunch (and yet a third membership drop!). Of course, part of me thinks I'm being crazy, the membership is on sale, get over it, you always liked it, etc., etc.

Do any of you out there have similar experiences/quandrys? I'm a little confused.

Susan
miradoblackwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

There are a ton of DVDs out there for home weight lifting. All you really need are some dumbells (you can get those adjustable ones at target for not too much) and maybe a barbell... but even that isn't necessary. I like the Jari Love DVDs for weight training but she does do a lot of high-reps so some people don't like that, but there is a ton of options out there. Look at collagevideo.com for clips of different ones. Even if you are already ripped there are even good programs out there that will challenge you P90x etc.

Also Ive seen bowflex machines on craigs list for a couple hundred bucks lately if your looking more for a machine, but the videos tend to motivate me more... like having a trainer at home.

If you financial situation varies a lot you might be better off at home. I can't tell you though how to help with the motivation. what works for me is that I have to exercise every day and then I'll let myself have a day of when I want to without guilt (usually once a week or so) that way its never a question of if.... more a question of what do i feel like doing today.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I went from 299 to 166 once before (whole different story), but when I did all I did was walk outside. Everyday. Close to goal weight, I was up to 4-5 miles a day. This time around I am walking too as my only form of exercise. At some point, I'll add in some weights, but I don't think you need to spend any money to get some great exercise. Just walk out your front door!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I also second walking very doable at your current weight.

Start with 15 mins or so work your way up. You can progress pretty quickly. I started in May and until the last few weeks when I got back to my DVDs I was only walking. It won't build muscle... (some in your legs) so I still recommend alternating with weight training. Walk Away the Pounds is a good cardio home substitue for outdoor walking if you don't have a treadmill.

In fact I walked about 5.5 miles today! Yeay! And I'm not exactly a toothpick!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #5  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I used to join gyms intending to go several times a week, but then would hardly ever go and waste money on it. This time around I am living in a new house with a large finished basement that has been converted into our personal gym. I bought an elliptical for about 300 dollars (a lot compared to a monthly gym membership, but I get what it's worth after using it a few times a week), some different workout DVDs including WATP with Leslie, and The Biggest Loser workout video. I also bought an adjustable weight bench that came with dumbells and a weight training DVD. I now have a great variety of exercises to keep me busy at home. I have put some money into it, but it is worth it for me because I work out more at home than I ever did at a gym.

If you don't want to spend the money for an elliptical/treadmill or weight bench, I suggest at least investing in several different types of workout DVDS (you can get them for as little as 9.99 and they will keep you going for awhile) and perhaps a weight training video with a few sets of dumbbells (you can get this for about 40-50 bucks). Getting cardio is definitely important, but adding weight training will help you lose also because you will build muscle.

Good luck!
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote