3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   exercise is such a drag.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/120556-exercise-such-drag.html)

FlabbyHarry 08-16-2007 11:19 AM

exercise is such a drag....

i might be the only 1 but i hate exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!

i go on a 20 min walk everynight after dinner but feel thats not enough... i try to do a fitness dvd atleast 4x a week but i usualy do it on monday and dont do it any other day and i feel like im letting myself go because at the start of my 11lbs loss i was in control and losing atleast 2-3lbs a week but now i am lucky to stay the same and i feel disapointed in myself ..... how can i make exersise fun?? cause when i find myself bored and DEFINATELY not wanting to jump in the air like a mainiac i go to the chocolate, ice cream and coke .... with a movie!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeedaRenee 08-16-2007 11:27 AM

Do you have someone who could workout with you? Working out with someone always makes it more fun for me. Also if you have a game system, DDR (dance dance revolution) is a great way to get exercise. There's also the Wii. What kind of dvds are you working out to? Maybe you could find a salsa or hip hop dance or some other type of theme workout DVD. I hope you find somehting that 's fun for you!

mandalinn82 08-16-2007 12:21 PM

1. Experiment and try new things - you might be just fine boredom-wise on the elliptical, but the treadmill feels like death to you. Pilates might be too slow, but kickboxing may be just right.

2. Find others to go on that walk with you! It makes it much easier and the time goes so much faster.

3. Listen to music while you exercise.

4. You'll read magazine articles that say you don't burn as many cals on cardio if you have distractions...magazines, tv, whatever...other than music. I say that if reading a magazine on the elliptical or watching some TV show while you lift makes you want to get on the elliptical or lift, then it is helping you burn more cals than sitting on your butt.

5. Be grateful! I have a wretched knee injury and am currently cardio free. Think of all the people whose bodies are, for whatever reason, unable to exercise, and be thankful!

Mini-Me 08-16-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeedaRenee (Post 1818021)
Also if you have a game system, DDR (dance dance revolution) is a great way to get exercise.

I was going to suggest ddr, too! If you don't think THAT'S fun...well...;)

FlabbyHarry 08-17-2007 02:18 PM

thanks guys :D ill try your tips! :D

Ilene 08-17-2007 06:28 PM

Think positive too!! If you go into a workout thinking "I hate this, it's such a drag", you'll never enjoy exercising... I also agree to experiment and find something you like to do...

Idealmuse 08-17-2007 06:55 PM

I used to reaaaaaally hate it too, but I don't mind it as much anymore because I can really feel and appricate the changes in my body.

Are you walkng fast enough to improve your cardio? How about walking with music?

I've found exercise DVDs can sometimes be fun too. I recommend Turbo Jam for that fun factor.

onthetee 08-18-2007 07:34 PM

I really like to listen to books when I exercise. The drive to get to the end of the chapter or to see what happens next keeps me on the road.

qazwsx27 08-18-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlabbyHarry (Post 1818005)
i might be the only 1 but i hate exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!

how can i make exersise fun?? cause when i find myself bored and DEFINATELY not wanting to jump in the air like a mainiac i go to the chocolate, ice cream and coke .... with a movie!!!!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not buy a few dumbells and try resistance training. I hate exercise but I find a sense of satisfaction from lifting weights. Anyway you're at a healthy BMI and don't need to really lose any weight. I guess the exercise will keep you healthy and help you maintain.

Greens 08-18-2007 10:08 PM

Rollerblading on paved trails. I used to go up to 16 miles at a time on railtrails.

Bicycling on the road or the above mentioned railtrails which are popping up everywhere. For some reason movement and moving scenery makes it a lot more fun for me. The challenge of getting places has been known to keep me cycling on and off for up to 8 hours at a time.

I haven't tried these new machines for playing games while using exercise equipment, but I've always thought something like this was needed. It's so easy to lose yourself in a game. Imagine if you were really walking along and burning calories instead of just sitting there.
http://dietmotion.com/play-video-gam...se-weight.html

Take up hiking. Most colleges have woodsy trails hidden somewhere on campus and they'll let you walk on them. Adopt a 1 year old dog. They're great walking partners and plentiful since people mostly focus on puppies. A one year old is ready and eager to hit the trail. Ask for a friendly dog at your humane society. There are an amazing number of very aggressive dogs that don't work well on trails with other dogs, but ask anyway. Aggression might just be the result of confinement and solitude.
http://www.epinions.com/content_5053128836
wikiwalki.com for finding trails
My trails are under the name Tashtego

almostheaven 08-19-2007 12:01 AM

I hated exercise for the longest time too. I'd tried it with every diet in the past and could never stick to it. This time, I was determined to stick to it. So everytime I started feeling that boredom, or finding myself pulling back from it, I'd change my routine.

I have various exercise equipment that I've purchased from time-to-time during these changes. And that equipment doesn't have to be expensive. It can be anything from a hoola hoop, to a jump rope, to some hand weights, to a cheap MP3 player for those walks. Pick fast-paced music and you'll find yourself trying to keep up with the beat for a faster walk. It can also be videos, exercise or dance or just a calming yoga video...but yoga and pilates seem to bore me too. I have to be faster paced. It's why I mostly like running or walking briskly at least.

I joined Curves for something different and to keep me going for awhile. I'll be joining the YMCA soon. I've gone walking/running with friends, taken my son to the park and had a picnic after a 5 to 7 mile hike.

You can also do activities you find fun, such as swimming, biking, skating, skiing, whatever. Just don't sit still. Spend some time doing some form of exercise at least a few days a week, more if possible. At lower weights, we sometimes have to exercise pretty vigorously and nearly daily in order to shed pounds.

And, you could always add some exercise just in your daily routine that can become habit and not require much thought. Try pacing when talking on the phone, parking far away from doors, walking to the corner store instead of driving, biking to work if it's not too terribly far, opting for stairs over elevators, always getting up and going someplace to deliver a message (like to your co-workers) rather than calling them.

BlueToBlue 08-23-2007 04:32 AM

When I first started exercising, I felt the same way you do. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but what really worked for me was to hire a personal trainer. My sessions with my trainer fly by, we are always doing something new, and they are far more effective than when I work out alone. They've also motivated me to exercise more on my own and to improve my diet.

Now, two years later, exercise is just something I do every day, like eating, sleeping, and working. Sometimes it still feels like a drag, but most the time not, and sometimes I even look forward to it as time when I can just focus on me.

Investing in a iPod has also helped quite a bit! :dancer: