Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Thumbs up When do you think...

a person becomes "a runner"? Is it when one runs three miles in the pouring rain? I pondered this while getting drenched tonight. I headed out for a run tonight, though I had planned to take the day off b/c I had done a lot yesterday. Anyway, I headed over to the race track where I run and just as I got there it started raining but I didn't want to miss it so went anyway. I was planning to do my usual 4 laps which is 2 miles but felt so good I ended up doing 6 laps!! THREE MILES!! Without stopping once. YAY ME!!

I considered going farther because my legs weren't sore and my breathing was fine, but my stinking knees were starting to ache. And now I'm stuck with my knee brace on. I may have to force myself to skip tomorrow if it doesn't feel any better. I'm loving that I'm actually wanting to do this and wanting to do more and more...now if only my knees would get with teh program!
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've asked myself the same thing. I've been jogging in the park just to get caught in the rain. Now I'm pushing a stroller. So I'll stop, put the weather shield over the stroller so my son doesn't get wet, and keep chugging along to finish my run.

However, I just did a 5K stroller division a few weeks back and I came in 5 out of 6 in that division. So, I keep telling myself, yabbut, NONE of them were 42, and two were guys, who always seem to be faster than girls, and they were 1st and 2nd place too. So maybe I AM a runner. So what if I'm not as FAST as the rest, I still did it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I know what you mean. I just start feeling good about how far I'm going and then I go out with my Aunt who's been running for 20 years or my friend who's been running for years, then I feel like a loser when they have to slow down and wait for me. So embarrassing. But then like you, I start telling myself to not be so hard on myself, look how far I've come and they've been running for literally years...plus have way longer legs than me so can take way bigger strides. LOL Besides, whether we're fast or not, think about how many people couldn't keep up with US now? I know most of my friends couldn't run with me even though there are those two that are faster than me. Isn't it sad that we have to remind ourselves how good we are doing instead of just enjoying it? LOL
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

Yup. In this past race in the 6 competing stroller division runners, 1st place was a 20 something guy, 2nd place a 40 yo guy, 3rd a 24 yo woman, 4th a 26 yo. woman, then me a 42 yo woman, then 6th was a 30 yo woman. I beat a 30 yo! I got 12 years on her and I beat her! Nya! LOL

I was telling someone the other day that all during the race, I kept trying to catch the 26 yo. mom in front of me. We were neck and neck through the whole race, but she pulled a little ahead and stayed there. She came in 29 seconds ahead of me. And I was ONE second behind another 42 yo woman NOT pushing a stroller. So again...Nya. LOL

Anyway I got into this argument with myself. Self kept saying catch her, you can do it, don't let her beat you. Then I would say Hey! You're 42, a former open heart surgery patient, you're pushing around 30 pounds of boy in about 30 pounds of packed stroller, you used to weigh over 250 pounds, you have arthritis in your knees, you ARE a winner. Then self would say, Yeah? Now quit yer bellyaching and catch up to that bimbo meathead. I figured out there was no point in arguing with self.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

You know, I'd love to be a 'runner.' I run 5k 5 days a week, but I do it on the treadmill, not outside. I think running on the treadmill means that I can't really count myself as a real runner.

I love the idea of stroller races! I'd never have imagined such a thing! And you actually race with your babies in the strollers? How cool!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I don't see why you can't count yourself as a runner, baffled111. You're running!

I don't know what constitutes a runner, but I run, therefore I am a runner?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

Yup, baffled, they make jogging strollers that use bicycle tires so they're easier to jog with. Though when I first started back jogging after having my son, I used my standard Gracco. But it was harder to maneuver than a jogging stroller, so I quickly got one. Most of them will have a hand brake for fast stopping and a wrist strap so the stroller doesn't get away from you. Mine has a built-in music system through which I play children's songs, while I listed to my MP3 player music.

This last race I did had divisions for both handicapped/wheelchairs and for strollers. Had 6 people in the stroller division out of less than 300 runners total. More and more moms and dads are getting out there as the stroller has come a long way baby.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'll consider myself a runner when I can go next door and ask my neighbor to go on a run with me. If I can keep up with her, I'll consider myself a runner.

She is about my age, maybe a little older (I'm 44). She was a long distance runner in college (scholarship) and will run anytime anywhere (for instance, at noon in the middle of the summer when the temp is 120--she'll go out running). She runs 10k like it's nothing!

Frankly, I doubt I'll ever be able to keep up with her, but it won't stop me from trying! I actually can't wait until the day she sees me running! I know she'll be impressed!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
I don't see why you can't count yourself as a runner, baffled111. You're running!

I don't know what constitutes a runner, but I run, therefore I am a runner?
That's exactly my thought on running ... I run therefore I am a runner
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote