Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #1  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Default Why I've come to (Gasp) like exercise.

I was always one of those exercise haters. Lately though, I've been not minding it so much, and in some cases (gasp) enjoying it. I was trying to reflect on why the change because I hear so many people say how they hate it and I wanted to be able to share what caused my shift... you know beside the usual advice you hear "Find something you love" Well you know that IS true but when your 100+ pounds overweight almost any exercise is a challenge and this doesn't really help at first because everything feels awful. This coming from the girl who couldn't even run the 10 minute mile in high school... fast forward 15 years.

In retrospect I think there is not one reason for the attitude shift. If your not used to exercise and especially if your very over weight it not only takes you out of your comfort zone but at first you feel very clunky... embarrassed that SO little gets you exerted. Your body has an adjustment period it needs to go through until it understand hey we will be doing this for awhile. The first few weeks just aren't fun. But then you start to notice changes one by one.

First thing you notice is the mood changes... Your more upbeat... Then hey!... Your heart rate goes down and you actually feel MORE relaxed EVEN when your not working out... But most importantly something finally CLICKS... and all of a sudden your doing things you could never do before. There is something really powerful in that.

Then if by trial and error you find that exercise you enjoy and all those things taken into account... Bingo You ALMOST like exercise. Okay, well maybe you DO like exercise but are afraid to say so. Okay, damnit I like exercise!! Would NEVER see those words ever coming out of my mouth before.

I know this isn't true for everyone. Some people will always hate it. Some of that is how you choose to look at things, but this is how it happened for me. It didn't happen right away. It took a few months before I didn't mind as much and a few more before I could tag the word "enjoy" onto that. I just want to share that there is HOPE for you haters!

I can't wait to see what the future holds as I still have a ways to go, but this is one of a few reasons I'm feeling confident that THIS is the time.

-muse (Did 70mins today!)

Last edited by Idealmuse; 09-17-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I still have quite a love/hate relationship with it. Somedays I really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it...I do 2 or more hours of running, strength training, biking, you name it...and really love it. Other days, well...other days I just don't want to move off the couch and nothing will change that.

I'm hoping/assuming the more I do it, the "loving it" days will increase and the couch days will decrease. It's already gotten better b/c I hated every single of it when I first started. Truly and completely loathed it.

What I really like the most are muscles! I really love seeing muscles in my body!!
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

You are so right muse! Soon your body will crave the exercise when you miss it and the day (or week) is not complete without it! You start planning trips with the thought of, but when will I get my exercise in, or how will I? That's truly when it has become a part of your lifestyle change!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's wonderful, Idealmuse!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Muse - I feel the same way, and I often wonder if those are really my thoughts. Exercise has changed so much for me and I am so glad that I have found ways to really enjoy it.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote