Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #1  
It's MY Life

Default Curves?

Hi! Just wondering if anyone here does the Curves program. I have been thinking about joining, but wanted opinions/info. If anyone has either I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance for your help.
AdoAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #2  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

I used to go to Curves. 3 times a week, every week. I went there from October '03-April '04. When I joined I weighed 165 lbs. From Oct. - Jan. I went down to 159.

From January - April I still went to Curves 3 times a week, but I also went to Bally's. I went from 159 to 147 in those 3 months. I had a free 12-week membership through a promotion at Bally's. I only used the treadmill and elliptical there.

I liked Curves, but like with the gyms I've joined, I was excited and enthusiastic at first and then the novelty wore off. There's nothing wrong with Curves - I just get bored doing the same thing every week for months.

Anyway, Curves was clean and I really liked the interior. The franchise owner did a great job with it. I liked the workout. I would recommend giving it a try.

I don't know if I answered your question. Let me know if you want any more info.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #3  
It's MY Life

Green T, thanks so much for your input. I have heard that people get a little bored with it, but if they stick with it they will see results. I am pretty much out of shape and I have also heard that it is a good program to start off with for a workout.
Was it very expensive?
AdoAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi Annie,
I've been doing Curves for a year. I still enjoy the circut, I now Hula Hoop and do crunches after I stretch. I've lost about 40 pounds since I joined last year. I also go to WW but have not been as focused on my food plan as I should, I think the Curves workouts have helped a lot. I enjoy the ladies I attend with. I go every morning before work, 5 days a week. I actually go to two different ones (they are owned by the same ladies), they open up a different times on different day.

I've thought about checking into a regular gym but I don't think I'm ready yet to go exercise with younger, more fit males and females. Plus I'd have to get a private trainer because I don't know anything about the weight machines or what I should be doing.

They do charge a registration fee and then a monthly charge. I think you can do like a 3 month program if you pay it all up front. Sometimes they run specials. Check it out, most Curves will offer a free trial period.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/189/150

Height: 5'8

Hi Annie! I used to work at Curves. I found that for some, it was a way to start feeling positive about exercise. It was very social, and the ladies doing it would always be chatting and having fun. As for the circuit, it's set up so that you can make what you want of it. If you want a hard day, you can push hard. If you want an easy day, you can just go through the motions. Sometimes, though, it was easy to slip into the "going through the motions" mode without even realizing it. Overall, I'd say it's a fun way to get into exercise, and if you want to, you can see results, too.
ReddyToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I did Curves for nearly 2 years. I wasn't the least bit bored with it because I could do several workouts. Either put my all into the machines, or work some aerobics on the resting stations, and I could add the hoola hoop afterwards. There was also having other people there to chat with to keep you coming back. I had to quit though when my husband started working 7 to 7. Curves wouldn't stay open late enough and I didn't have a sitter. LOL After 2 months of not being able to go even once, I went ahead and cancelled.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #7  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

I did curves for a few months, and didnt like it that much. first of all i had a hard time fitting into some of the machines. and while i loved the fact that it was full of women with a similar body shape to me, i was very much the outsider in the group. between those two things and me already being very self concise about working out, i couldn't do it. for me it's better to work out at home.
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #8  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoAnnie View Post
Green T, thanks so much for your input. I have heard that people get a little bored with it, but if they stick with it they will see results. I am pretty much out of shape and I have also heard that it is a good program to start off with for a workout.
Was it very expensive?
I think I paid around $30/month. I also didn't have to pay the full registration fee because of a special they had. I don't remember if it was waived or if there was just a discount, but I remember that there was some kind of special going on.

The day I signed up one of the instructors talked to me about my weight loss goals, took my measurements, measured my body fat with a hand-held device, and weighed me. Then she showed me how to use all of the machines.

My Curves had an abs class twice a week. I think it was 15 minutes.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote