Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #16  

Racing is ONE way of sticking with running. If it works for you, that's great. If it doesn't, I don't see a problem with making the point that running is a big activity, with room for lots of different ways to go about it.

I've been running for close to a decade. I don't race. I run. It can be done. Probably more runners do not race or do not race regularly, than do.

I'm thrilled for the women here who've found racing to be a motivator, but I think that sometimes their entirely justified pride in their accomplishments maybe gives a one-sided view of what running is. One doesn't need to do 10-mile long runs or train for marathons or even race 5Ks to be a runner. All one needs to do is run-- tie on your shoes, strap on a bra, and head for the sidewalk. When you get tired, stop and walk. Run again when you feel better. Then do it again in a few days. And keep doing it. Abracadabra, you're a runner.

I'm not seeing hostility in expanding the hows and whys.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdandy3 View Post
Has anyone been really overweight when they staerted running? Is this possible? Is it a good idea? Love to hear your opinions!
That's what I've been wondering, too, but it sounds like anyone can start anytime, as long as they have no major joint problems, they start slow and get good shoes. Yes?

I might go out today and get fitted. Can I go to a mall store that sells sneakers, or do I need to go to a specialty store? Any things I should look for or ask for? Sorry for all of the questions, but I just want to make sure I don't many any major mistakes.

It will probably be a looooooooooooooong time before I'm ready for a race, but at least I'm ready to take the first step, right?

I found some more running stories at that site:

I Ran Off 60 Pounds

Running Buddies Helped Him Shed Pounds

I Started With Just A Slow Half Mile

Brazil Woman Loses 160 Pounds Through Diet, Exercise

Running Helped Him Shed Nearly 40 Pounds

I'm psyched! It feels better to be focused on something fitness instead of diet, diet, diet all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
All one needs to do is run-- tie on your shoes, strap on a bra....
You mean I have to wear a BRA to run?!?! I quit
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #18  

Quote:
I might go out today and get fitted. Can I go to a mall store that sells sneakers, or do I need to go to a specialty store? Any things I should look for or ask for? Sorry for all of the questions, but I just want to make sure I don't many any major mistakes.
Go to a running specialty store and tell them that you want to start to run. (There's a list of stores here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1048-0,00.html) They'll look at your feet and work from there.

Get a pair or two of proper running socks as well, and fit the shoes while you're wearing the socks.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #19  

Thank you, Maria!!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
All one needs to do is run-- tie on your shoes, strap on a bra, and head for the sidewalk.
So in the interest of additional viewpoints, I have to disagree with the last part of the above statement. I find sidewalks to be a very dangerous place to run (and even walk!). They are often cracked, uneven, and concrete is rated the worst surface to run on. I wouldn't recommend running on sidewalks, but I know many people do. If you're starting out, you might want a softer, more even surface until you get used to running. My favorite places to run in my area are bike paths, which are asphalt. Asphalt ranks just under the treadmill in surface ratings.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
As everyone knows, I'm slow as molasses. . .
Your long run pace is faster than my 5K racing pace, so if you're as slow as molasses, then I'm as slow as molasses in Alaska on a winter's night!!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #22  
Working My Way Back Down

Mini-Me, check out YP1's story for losing weight using running for exercise. Very inspiring.

And Sheila, trust me - no one is running on a winter's night in Alaska.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
I don't race. I run. It can be done.
I hate to keep this going, but I can't understand why you think I was saying otherwise. "It can be done?" Do you seriously think anyone wouldn't think so? I suggested that signing up for races can be a motivational tool. Again, being a runner and being a runner who occasionally signs up for races are not two mutually exclusive things. I've done a whopping three races. For the VAST majority of people, they have absolutely nothing to do with competition. I suppose I'm just bothered by the fact that you seem to think it's a bad suggestion simply because YOU choose not to participate in races. But whatever. I get the impression it wouldn't matter what I said either way.

I agree, Sheila, that sidewalks are horrible. I try to avoid them. When I was doing many of my runs on them, I had some pains in my knees and hips that I don't get when I run on other surfaces. And yes, my speed has certainly increased, but I still feel slow!

MiniMe, you'll find that your running will be tailored to your individual preferences, of course, like anything else. That hardly needs to be stated. I got the impression you were looking for advice from people who went from a sedentary life to becoming runners, and I'm certainly one of those people. I'm not an utter moron -- I have a few brain cells knocking around up there -- so I didn't think you were going to copy my experience exactly. I hope you didn't think I was suggesting you should.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #24  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hellooooo... I see I've already been linked, but I'll chip in anyway.

I wanted to run before I wanted to lose weight, I did a 1 mile race which shocked me into realising how unfit I was, then I went to the gym and found out how much I weighed

I didn't start running again straight away until I was a bit fitter, but I did my first 5k at 220lb (ish), and had been training (and losing weight) for a while building up to that.

Just take it slowly and steadily. Not wanting to inflame the debate more, but I would sign up for a race when you first start. It's then that you really need the motivation to keep going. Once you can run 5k or so relatively comfortably (whether you take walk breaks or not - whatever feels good for you), it's a lot easier to motivate yourself to go out and do it. It's when you are struggling to get past 10 minutes at a time that the added incentive of a race can keep you going.

If you try it and don't like it, by all means don't race again, but hopefully by then you'll have found some running routes you like, or running buddies, or other things you like about running, and you can focus on those.

I vary. I do race, and I do train for target races (there are also some I just turn up and do for the fun of it). But there are also days when I just want to get out into the open air and run. I don't have a route or a distance in mind, I just go out and I enjoy myself.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
I got the impression you were looking for advice from people who went from a sedentary life to becoming runners...
I am. I'm kind of 'ignoring' the debate...at least i'm trying.

Off to read about YP1
Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I did a 5k a few months back, but not because I wanted to, it was a family thing. DS could get extra credit for his PE class in school if he participated in some extracurricular activity. So I signed up the whole family (as well as DD's friend). I actually had a great time! I had no notions whatsoever of running any of it, but I ended up doing a few sprints. It felt good. I actually enjoyed getting to the finish line (you get a LOT of encouragement) to find out how fast/slow I was. I think we did it in 43 minutes (DD and her friend who did not run at all came in about 5 minutes later). I was quite pleased with myself. I may do it again next year (we don't have many races around here).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
I am. I'm kind of 'ignoring' the debate...at least i'm trying.
Sista!! Me too
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #28  
Liz, Dressage Queen

S/C/G: 160/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Wink

Everyone has given you great advice. I started running only a few months ago, and I'm not any "spring chicken." I had been doing elliptical for cardio, and I found running to burn more calories as I actually had to pick up my feet instead of just pushing them around.

I did run a 5K, and now I'm working on stamina so I can run longer instead of having to stop and walk. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, I found out. It's only exercise.

Put on your shoes (and bra) and go! You can do it. We all had to start somewhere.

Good Luck!
dressagequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #29  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I started at 220 and am still close to that (maybe a few pounds lighter) and I am loving it. I do the C25K program and the first two weeks hurt a bit and I was cursing that I lived in a 2 story house and had to chase my kids up and down the stairs a lot haha. I am on week 4 and still loving it.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 230/176/130

Height: 5'3"

I started running at 220 pounds. I run 5k everyday. I don't want to race. I just like to run to help keep my fit. I hated running at the beginning but just did it and said I would fake it till I make it. Now I enjoy running but have no desire ever to race. I didn't think I would ever be able to run so this was an accomplishment for me. I hope you do find what your are looking for.
Good luck.
Cakes-way to go
BecomingFit is offline   Reply With Quote