Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default Workout day 5 - should I skip?

My goal has been to walk every day. I have been on long walks with my kids for 4 days in a row. Today is day 5 and EVERTHING hurts! I am so sore.
In the past I have started workout programs, and gotten sore. Once I took a day off, I never started back. I was determined to not let myself take a day off, even it it meant I had to go extra slow or take Advil or something.
But the front of my calves are really hurting as I walk and I do not want to injure myself, yet at the same time I am terrified of taking a day off because it always ends up being that I don't start back up again! WHat do you think I should do? I need to make a decision by 7 pm central time when it cools off enough for me to go for a walk. I HOPE I feel better by then, but I doubt I will
PCOSbattlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I would take the ibuprofen and go take the gentle walk. But you know you best.
Can you wear different shoes for a change?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

If you are really afraid that by taking today off that you won't go back tomorrow, I say, take some advil (or equivelant) and make it a gentle walk. It doesn't matter if you walk a mile in 15 minutes or 30 minutes. Sometimes it's just about getting up and moving...stretching your muscles. Then tomorrow maybe you'll be feeling better and you can take it up a notch. Good luck!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I think what you describe the "front of your calves" being sore and that is called shin splints... Make sure you stretch before and especially after your workout...Ice the area and take something for the pain...

Here is a good article :
How To Prevent and Treat Shin Splints

I also agree to go out for a gentle walk if you're worried about not going back to exercising... Something is always better than nothing...

Keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #5  

TY everyone! I am so motivated now - and you were right, I am positive that the pain is from shin splints. Especially because I DO think I have been overstriding - for some reason I thought you were supposed to take bigger steps? I don't know where I picked that up but I am definately going to try icing them and stretching them before & after. I am so glad I found this site so that I can get information like this. I can't wait to take my walk - even if it is 5 or 10 minutes I think you are right, the important thing is to get myself out there because I know that if "take a break", one day will turn into two then three then four. And like my screename says I am fighting a war to stay alive because of the health problems I have, so I am definately going to get out there as soon as it cools off tonight! It is 100 degrees here in the midwest, and my kids can't take the heat (neither can I) so I have been waiting until the sun starts to set and it is nice and cool.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there!

How much do you weigh? How old are your shoes? Are you trying to walk too hard, too fast?

Some folks have a tendency to treat increased activity like it's Marines boot camp--they go out and work themselves to the dropping point, make themselves sore, and then give up! I'm not saying this is you, necessarily--but you should not be pushing so hard that you are in a lot of pain.

Take a day off and get some new shoes, if you need them. They should be athletic-type shoes because if you're very heavy, you need the support.

I hope you feel better soon! Keep going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Keep up the positive attitude PCOSbattlefield
Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #8  

I did it!
I went for a walk this evening! I remembered to stretch and it made all the difference in the world! I also pulled out my old Cindy Crawford DVD that I did after I had my daughter and did the stretching segment. I felt SOOOO good. I am so glad I did it. Once I get myself out there I am fine, it is just getting me out there and getting me motivated to do it no matter what other stressors or events happen during the day.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Hope!