Will it make a difference?

• I am just wondering, if working out straight for one hour VS. working out in 2 half hour segments during the day will have different impacts? Thanks!
  • While I don't know the science involved, my trainer prefers that I get 35-60 minutes of cardio in each day. When I was actively losing (as opposed to kind of trying to lose as I am doing now), I went for 60 minutes, although I changed up activities at 30 min. because, frankly, 60 minutes on the elliptical, bike, or rowing machine was interiminable. I could do 60 min. on the treadmill only if I'm interval training.

But what is key, IMHO, is what will you stick with, and what works well with your schedule. When you're starting out, 60 min. of cardio (I'm assuming you're talking cardio??) at one time is an awful lot.
  • Yeah I am doing WATP, but 2 miles just doesn't do it for me. So I'm just trying to think of doing 2 miles and then later in the day doing 2 miles. Or if I should do one of the longer ones, 3 or 4 miles which is 45 minutes to 60. Thanks for the input!
  • I've always heard that like the first 30 minutes gets your blood pumping and heart rate up and burns off like the food you may have just eaten recently but for burning fat in storage, that that comes after the first 30 minutes. I don't know how true that may be, but that's what i've heard.
  • It's fine to split up your day's exercise. You're burning calories from the very first minute and that's what counts! There's some thought that it's beneficial to elevate your metabolism twice as day, as opposed to once a day.

Do whatever works best for you!
  • Meg is right! A lot of studies are showing that if you work out in two 30 minute segments, your metabolism stays up for more time during the day. This is because you are burning calories even after you work out. So if you work out twice, you're getting double the post work out burn.