Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default Womens Gym's

IF I decide to get a personal trainer, or use a gym, its going to have to be a womens gym. I tryed to do a search from yahoo for womens gyms in my area. All that its coming up with is Curves, and some fitness to go thing where they come to your house. How can I find a womens gym?? I dont recall I've ever seen one. So where would I look to find it.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Maybe check the phone book?

Also, you might want to consider joining the Y if you can't find a women-only gym. It's co-ed, but it's a pretty diverse sort of gym and you might feel more comfortable there, even with the presence of men. My Y has people of all ages and shapes and sizes.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I would also check the phone book or online. The womens gyms around here usually have "Lady" or "woman" in the title.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #4  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

What about calling the local YMCA or your doctor's office and asking if they know of anywhere?

I joined a women's gym years ago and it was nice for not feeling self-conscious while learning to use the equipment. I have a YMCA membership now, but rarely get to go anywhere there without the kids in tow... I've never used their weightroom.
AmyMCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You also might look for a regular gym that has a womens-only room. My gym has a main area, plus a smaller women-only area that has cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, and all of the other stuff in the main area, just in smaller quantities. That might be easier to find than a gym restricted only to women in all areas.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

I like the ymca because it's so diverse and non threatening, plus they have daycare and activities for kids/families.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
You also might look for a regular gym that has a womens-only room. My gym has a main area, plus a smaller women-only area that has cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, and all of the other stuff in the main area, just in smaller quantities. That might be easier to find than a gym restricted only to women in all areas.
I used to belong to a Bally's that had a women's only room with cardio and weight machines. It was painted bright pink so I didn't go in there much.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #8  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

Stacie - where in Texas are you? I'm in Texas also. In my town, we have one gym for women only and then we have a gym called GYM X that has a Women only room. I have, over the last several years, been a member of three gyms in the area and even though I really like the idea of the women's only gym, it didn't have the equipment or free weights that are available in a regular gym. I currently go to the gym that has both, I enjoy the women's only room but have access to the other equipment if I feel the need to work a little harder.
healthy2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Im in the Dallas area. I dont need to go to the gym for cardio though. I have all that equimpment at my house. I want to go for the weights and maybe a personal trainer. Am I not going to be getting that if I go to a womens gym only?? The gyms near my house look like a mall parking lot on a Saturday. There packed. All the time. The area I live in I can only imagine what it what be like at the gyms hear. Very gorgous girls, and very hot guys. So I rather just be around girls. Also does anyone know if I get a trainer how many times I have to use them? Could I only use them like 2 or 3 times a month. Just to like guide me with the weight. But then I would go there on my own the times I wouldnt be seeing one. I know there expenisive.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:45 AM   #10  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

My gym is woman only and there is a weights area there. It's a very small weights area, but in saying that it's a very small gym - there are rarely more than about 6 people in there even at peak times.

I'm quite surprised that you're having trouble finding a woman only gym in a large city like Dallas - or one with a woman only area at least. Maybe it's one of those things that's quite different between the US and NZ, but it's no issue finding a woman's gym here - I can think of 6 gyms over my city, and it's not exactly a large city...

The other thing I'd suggest you do is let your fingers do the walking. Grab your phone book or yellow pages and go through the listing showing gyms in your area and give them a ring and find out yourself if they're woman only or have a woman only area....
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote