3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   CT5K - JUly (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/116738-ct5k-july.html)

cakses 07-02-2007 05:53 PM

CT5K - July

Anyone starting this program in July? I finished Day 1 and managed to make it out in one piece without hurting myself. I had to slow my pace and really focus on not shuffling my feet but I did it! I thought it would be awesome if anyone else out there was starting and we could keep each other on track!

Cat

glitterlicious 07-02-2007 08:38 PM

I'm starting week #3 tomorrow.

Definetly stick with it. It's such a great program.

I can't even imagine running 30 minutes in a row but each week I know I am getting closer and closer...but at a gradual enough pace that I'm challenging myself without killing myself.

Good luck out there and keep everyone posted on your progress.

cakses 07-05-2007 03:23 PM

well i am still running but man my legs are killing me! i made it yesterday and it was a bit sore but i finished and then last night we ended up walking another 2 miles from our parking spot to fireworks and my knees were screaming at me! i hope friday is better to me.

what do you do on your days off? right now i walk but once i am not as sore was wondering what other people do?

ItsAboutTime 07-05-2007 05:07 PM

I'm doing it. I haven't finished week 1 yet though because I haven't run in a week. I don't get leg issues it's the side stitches that bother me.

I know I need to get back at it but it's soooo much cooler inside doing my WATP video!

HeatherAngel 07-05-2007 05:27 PM

Hi Cat!

I am currently on Week Four; I usually run about five times for each week, rather than three (but not five times a week - that might kill me! :lol3: so I am actually in my fifth week running, but on week four) and I LOVE it - never thought I'd be a runner... and yet, yesterday, just because it poured rain and I wouldn't run in the rain - we bought a treadmill!

I swear to you - I never thought I'd be able to do it - week one was SO hard... and ItsAboutTime, the stitches were horrible, but they passed... and then at the end of week two, I thought - how will I EVER do week three... and the same again for week four. But I AM doing it - and you will too! It ain't pretty, sexy or even feminine - well, not the way *I* run!!!! - but I am getting stronger and fitter, and this is the best bunch of people I have ever had the good fortune to meet!

Check in often, post lots, and let us know how you are getting on - you'll LOVE IT!! :yes:

Heather :D

cakses 07-05-2007 06:44 PM

so you mean you did the runs 5 times instead of 3 before moving on to the next week? that's an idea. i feel much better today although i haven't gone on my walk yet hehe. but i am less sore than day 2 when i thought i was going to die. i think i can do this, but still the thought of running 1 mile, let alone 3 is daunting!

onthetee 07-05-2007 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=ItsAboutTime;1761381]I'm doing it. I haven't finished week 1 yet though because I haven't run in a week. I don't get leg issues it's the side stitches that bother me.
[QUOTE]

I have had side stitches all my life. I remember having them in elementary school! The Cool Running website has information that has helped me. I am doing a variation of the program, but I am roughly at week five. I have not had an issue since I read their advice on week two. I have been doing 12 minutes this week, and I hope to do 15 tomorrow. I work really hard to inhale and exhale on the left foot.

HTH

onthetee 07-05-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakses (Post 1761213)
well i am still running but man my legs are killing me! i made it yesterday and it was a bit sore but i finished and then last night we ended up walking another 2 miles from our parking spot to fireworks and my knees were screaming at me! i hope friday is better to me.

what do you do on your days off? right now i walk but once i am not as sore was wondering what other people do?

On my days off, I do the elliptical at the gym for 40 or 45 minutes and stay over 9 MPH on it at a level 7.

The first week, I think is the worst. It gave me a sense of accomplishment, but mostly, I thought, "I can burn a lot more in less time at the gym." Also, I did not lose any weight the first two weeks, which was a bummer. HOWEVER, my body looked very different. After just the first week my husband said, "You are starting to get a runner's body." I thought he was nuts, but I could see a huge difference in the shape of my lower body. That was motivational.

HeatherAngel 07-05-2007 10:50 PM

Cat - that's exactly right - I just stretched the programme to build up my endurance and strength - I am still terrified that I'll try too hard and hurt myself and give up! :nono:

Heather :D

cakses 07-06-2007 05:37 PM

well it's friday and i did the 3rd run of week #1 and i'm sick so it was hard. i got a bit farther this time (i run in my subdivision) but it was quite the strain to get my legs to listen to me when i said "jog"! i am hoping my two days of walking during the weekend will stretch out whatever is sore on me.

does anyone do CT5K on a treadmill or track? once my DH deploys, i won't be able to do my solo runs unless i go to the gym and put the kids in childcare. is it harder to run on a treadmill because you're stuck in the same spot? i used to use them but i really enjoy getting out in my neighborhood and looking at houses and people while i run to keep my mind off how sore i am!

onthetee 07-06-2007 08:54 PM

I posted in this forum about treadmill vs. road. The treadmill is much, much easier. I am having a huge mental block about getting back on the road. I try to blame humidity, but the reality is that I was able to overcome the 1-mile mark on the treadmill, and I don't know how I will do it on the pavement.

ItsAboutTime 07-07-2007 02:21 PM

I did my 3rd day of the program yesterday and even though I had waited a week in between the second and third day I found it much easier. I didn't get the stiches and I was able to run a lot more. I'll do a few more days on week 1 and then move to week 2.

I think the fact that I do my WATP 3 mile video all the time helps me move faster for longer now. I may be crazy though.

michelle127 07-07-2007 03:16 PM

Heather you really are an angel!! I kept thinking - HOW am I going to do this??? You've inspired me to keep going!

I am supposed to do my third day today, but I have a stupid summer cold!! Would it be advisable to "run" (if you can call what I do running - lol) or wait until tomorrow? I just finished week 3 of Jillian Michael's Losing By Winning 12 week exercise program, so I'm thinking my body might be a little tired....

My day off was supposed to be tomorrow, the schedule would be a little mixed up if I don't run today. SO - should I run even though I'm tired and a little stuffy or take my rest day today?? I'm an all or nothing chick, so I could use objective advice.

Thanks,
Michelle

onthetee 07-07-2007 05:24 PM

I just did a 20 minute warm up on the elliptical (my first love), then I ran 8, walked 4, ran 10!!!

The next step is supposed to be 20 minutes in a row. I just CANNOT fathom it.

Katiebobatie 07-08-2007 03:34 AM

I'm on week 2 right now, trying to decide if I should do week 2's run a few more times, or if I'm ready to move on to week 3 :D

I actually started this last december, and then moved to texas with my husband for his tech school in the airforce, and I didnt have a safe place to run there so I completely stopped (and gained some weight :() BUT! now I'm ready to get back into it!