Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #1  

Default New runner (over 200 lbs) with question...UPDATE

So, I'm not exactly following the C25K program. My trainer has me doing a different kind of interval program for running...same theory, though. I'm on week 2. When I finished Monday, I felt almost immediate pain in both knees. Severe pain. I took today off but have to go tomorrow because it's a training day with her. My knees still hurt so badly! It's really a little below my knee. Obviously I know it's tough on my knees because they're carrying all this extra weight, but I've not been having this pain after running. I don't want to whine about it and her think I'm trying to get out of my workout, but I can't do anything that will cause me to be off my feet for a while either...not with 3 2-year olds to keep up with.

Is this a pain that I should expect and just work through because I'm a new...and large...runner?

I was really feeling like I was on a roll. Now I'm frustrated!

Monica

Last edited by triplettummy; 06-09-2007 at 12:03 PM.
triplettummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #2  
now I'm fluffy

S/C/G: 175/175/130

Height: 5'5"

It sounds like shin splints. They can hurt like crazy!! Put ice on them. You get them when you overdo your workout. Maybe do a little less to start with, but you really do need to tell your trainer. She may need to have you do more stretching before and after your workout.
use2Bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Your trainer should give you more stretches before and after your workout... Ice and ibuprophen help ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 AM   #4  

Sharp pain means stop what you're doing.

What kind of shoes are you running in?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #5  

I wear Nike Air N Sight II shoes. They're only about 4 months old. Maybe I need something else? I didn't think I'd be running when I got them.

I'll talk to my trainer about it this morning. They still hurt like mad today. Ugh...

Thank you for your quick reponses.

Have a super day!

Monica
Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

My knees hurt a LOT when I started running. I weighed about 250. I iced them every night, and that helped quite a bit. I was in the wrong shoes for my feet, though, which could've made things worse. I strongly urge you to go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have them look at your feet and at your old shoes to see what you need. I do have to caution you, however, that I got my initial running shoes at a running store and though they worked for a little while at the beginning, at my heaviest, they caused problems later when I dropped some weight. I went to a pedorthist who custom-fitted me with inserts and new shoes and explained how I was ok at first with those "wrong" shoes because I weighed so much that my body was sort of "controlling" the shoes, if that makes sense. And when I lost weight, I needed something that really worked for my feet. If your shoes aren't for running at all, you may want to start by going to a specialty running store, however.

I ended up spending $168 for the custom-fit shoes at New Balance, but the guy spent two hours working on making them perfect for me, and since my Brooks running shoes before that were $95 anyway, I think it was worth it. Also, they say to replace shoes after a certain number of miles (300-500 maybe? not sure), so if you've been walking in those Nikes they might be worn out.

The right shoes make a huge difference. The right shoes and ICE!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/177/?

Height: 5' 4"

When I get shin splints, they're usually a little lower than what you seem to be describing. But a stretch that I find very helpful is the "alphabet". While standing up or sitting, use your big toe to sketch the letters of the alphabet - A, B, C, D, E, etc. to Z. If it is shin splints this should help. Sometimes I"ll do part of the alphabet in the middle of jogging if I feel pain starting. But I'll also do it at random other times - in front of the tv, while typing on the computer, etc., especially when I'm just getting back into running after not doing it for a while.
sarah44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #8  

What about alternating run/walk days with walking days? I'm at almost 250 and just started a program similar to Couch to 5k, too. I don't want to hurt myself or stress my knees out too badly so I switch them out. Sunday I did a run/walk, Monday weights, last night was a Leslie tape.

Just a suggestion....
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Definitely talk to your trainer and do not run through pain. It will only slow things down

Running shoes are very important and that they are fitted properly.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdandy3 View Post
What about alternating run/walk days with walking days?
This is a very good suggestion. When I started running, I was only doing my run/walks once or twice a week and did walking or other cardio the rest of the week. That probably saved me quite a bit of pain.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #11  

Quote:
This is a very good suggestion. When I started running, I was only doing my run/walks once or twice a week and did walking or other cardio the rest of the week. That probably saved me quite a bit of pain.
LisaMarie - this is helping me a lot, I think. The first week or two I wasn't doing this and it was harder on my body -- and quite discourating. Mixing it up like this is helping me a lot and I'm able to get more cardio days in this way.

BTW - congrats on your 95 pounds! Wow! Not to hijack the thread, but can I ask if you followed any certain plan>

Monica - good luck at the gym -- let us know what your trainer says!
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #12  

My trainer had me try the elliptical. I hate it. Seriously...I feel so awkward on it. I went back to the treadmill and just stuck to walking today. I did jack up the incline to about a 5 to challenge myself. I didn't want to stay in my comfort zone too much since I'm really progressing right now. She said it wasn't shin splints...too high on my leg. It's really the bottom of my knee on both legs. I'm supposed to take tomorrow off and try icing my knees periodically between now and when we meet again on Saturday (I still do cardio on Friday on my own). She also suggested that I get a better pair of running shoes or some professionally fitted inserts for these.

And then she killed me on our ab workout. Ouch.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I just want to lose enough weight to be able to really take off with the running. I used to run regularly and I miss it. It's been years and I get so frustrated with the tiny baby steps I'm taking now towards my goal.

Monica
Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #13  

Monica, I hated the elliptical at first too but now I love it. For a while, before I became a running addict, the elliptical replaced walking as my main cardio. It's awkward at first but when you get used to it, it's great. Not for everyone, of course, but it is one of those things that's an acquired taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdandy3 View Post
BTW - congrats on your 95 pounds! Wow! Not to hijack the thread, but can I ask if you followed any certain plan>
Thank you! You could say I followed my own "relaxed" version of the Weight Watchers plan. I was a member years ago and lost 50 pounds, which I gained back. The only way I'm doing their plan is the fact that I count "points" instead of calories because that's what I got used to. I estimate a lot, however. I don't go to meetings or anything like that. My plan is all about portion control, staying under my point range, and everything else is secondary. As important as it is to eat healthy, whole foods, I don't always do that. I don't cut anything totally out, because I've never been able to stick to a plan that doesn't allow me to eat whatever I want. I just do small portions to stay in my points, and I try to eat as healthy as possible MOST of the time. So yeah..portion control and tons of cardio. Oh yeah, and I write down everything I eat along with the point value so I can stay on track. Some people hate doing that, but it's a small price to pay for being able to run and wearing size 12 for the first time since I was a teenager!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
it's a small price to pay for being able to run and wearing size 12 for the first time since I was a teenager!
That's awesome! I'm inspired!

Oh, about the elliptical thing...did it really hurt your quads at first? It hurts about as much as lunges! I can't take it. I wimp out fast. I guess I just need to work through it, huh?

Monica
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

OH gosh. The elliptical sure did hurt when I first started! I could barely manage 5 minutes!!! If you think you could learn to like it, try sticking it out for a bit. Now on my non-running days (gee, you'd think I was an athlete or something! hahaha) I do 45 minutes on my elliptical plus another 1/2 hour or so weight training. But yes, at first it HURT!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote