Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #1  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default Advice wanted on my exercise and calorie program

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who is a trainer or has personal experience being around my size and starting an exercise program like mine.

I will be starting an exercise plan where I will be doing 2 hours of yoga followed by 2 hours of weight training, 4 days a week.

I will also be swimming and doing a bit of cardio (treadmill walking and stationary biking) 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time.

I am around 300 pounds. I count calories and eat a whole foods vegan diet. I will be aiming for at least 100 grams of protein a day and 30% calories from fat.

I think that I will allow myself up to 2,200 calories a day on the days I am working out for 4 hours and 1,800 on the "off" days where I only do a little bit of exercise. Does this sound appropriate?

Is there anything that I should be doing differently? My goals (like everyone else I am sure) are to burn fat, build muscle, increase flexibility and cardiovascular fitness. I will be following this plan for 4 weeks as these are classes I am taking that last for 4 weeks. After that, I will continue working out in a yet to be determined manner.

Thanks in advance!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

Help! Please, someone respond! I am posting to "bump" this thread in hopes that someone may have something to contribute
Old 06-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #3  
Meg

I actually read your post yesterday and was thinking about it while I was cleaning bathrooms, but that's not much help to you, is it? Now if you have come and pitched in, we could have had a great discussion while wielding sponges.

Do you mind if I ask you some questions first before I comment?

Why are you doing four hours of exercise on the same days? Is it because they're classes and that's the way the schedule is set up? Is the two hours of weights a class (or two) or are you lifting with a trainer or on your own? Is it possible to do less (like an hour instead of two) or do you have to do two hours at a time of yoga and weights?

In a perfect world (and I know it's not), I'd have you doing more cardio, spread out the weights, and do less yoga.

Cardio is going to be your big calorie burner and I'd like to see you working up to at least 30 minutes on six days. Swimming, walking, and biking are all great cardio. Do you have access to an elliptical trainer? It was my favorite when I was heavy because there's no impact on joints (hips, knees, and ankles). It was my exclusive form of cardio for the year I was losing. Give it a try if you have a chance - you'll burn a ton of calories.

Yoga is good for flexibility but it doesn't burn much in the way of calories, so I'd cut that back to an hour maybe twice a week. It's not going to be the mainstay of a weight loss program, though it certainly has its benefits.

I agree that weightlifting is essential for fat loss, but two hours of weightlifting in a row - even in a class setting - is probably going to be counterproductive. If you're lifting intensively, you'll burn out. I've never lifted for two hours in a row and seriously doubt that I could. I'd much rather you take the four hours a week and spread them out over four days, if it's possible.

If the weightlifting is in a class format and you don't have much experience, try to be sure the instructor teaches the class proper form. Too often people are lifting incorrectly in a class and that can lead to injuries, as well as a lack of results. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

As for what you're eating, good for you for emphasizing protein! You're going to need it for muscle recovery and repair. Don't be afraid to go above 100 grams/day if you feel like you're running out of energy. If you're eating 2200 calories a day, your 100 grams is only 18% of your calories coming from protein. That's pretty low for an athlete (and yes, you're an athlete with that schedule!)

I think you picked a good calorie level to start with. So long as you're tracking calories and monitoring your results, you'll quickly be able to see if you need to tweak. As you lose weight, you'll need to drop calories but that's not an issue to worry about now.

OK, those are my long and rambling thoughts. Time for another cup of coffee! Let me know what you think of what I said and we can go from there.

Best of luck to you! Exercise changed my life and it can change yours too.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

Yay! You are the best! Thanks so much for responding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Do you mind if I ask you some questions first before I comment?

Why are you doing four hours of exercise on the same days? Is it because they're classes and that's the way the schedule is set up? Is the two hours of weights a class (or two) or are you lifting with a trainer or on your own? Is it possible to do less (like an hour instead of two) or do you have to do two hours at a time of yoga and weights?
Yes, they are group classes. I am taking them at college and am doing the yoga for stress release, to regain lost flexibility (after 2 semesters of JUST being in my head and neglecting to move my body very much at all).

Quote:
I agree that weightlifting is essential for fat loss, but two hours of weightlifting in a row - even in a class setting - is probably going to be counterproductive. If you're lifting intensively, you'll burn out. I've never lifted for two hours in a row and seriously doubt that I could. I'd much rather you take the four hours a week and spread them out over four days, if it's possible.
Well, I am going to talk to the instructor and see if I can use at least 30 of the 120 minutes for cardio and then move on from there. I will discuss my goals and my injuries with him/her and see how things go. I am so grateful fro your feedback because, as a trainer and a former overfat person, you know the best way to approach this, and I have no guarantee that this trainer will know how to help someone of my size!

Quote:
If the weightlifting is in a class format and you don't have much experience, try to be sure the instructor teaches the class proper form. Too often people are lifting incorrectly in a class and that can lead to injuries, as well as a lack of results. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
I will ask MANY questions! I have a lot of experience from the past but am so out of shape that I don't know how to begin to train myself being this overfat!

Quote:
As for what you're eating, good for you for emphasizing protein! You're going to need it for muscle recovery and repair. Don't be afraid to go above 100 grams/day if you feel like you're running out of energy. If you're eating 2200 calories a day, your 100 grams is only 18% of your calories coming from protein. That's pretty low for an athlete (and yes, you're an athlete with that schedule!)
You are right! I was initially thinking in terms of grams and not percentages. I am going to supplement with fat free/lowfat protein powders and may be doing them 3 times a day in addition to focusing on getting lots of protein from the foods I eat. Perhaps at my size and that activity level I am shooting for 150-200 grams would be more appropriate!

Quote:
I think you picked a good calorie level to start with. So long as you're tracking calories and monitoring your results, you'll quickly be able to see if you need to tweak. As you lose weight, you'll need to drop calories but that's not an issue to worry about now.

OK, those are my long and rambling thoughts. Time for another cup of coffee! Let me know what you think of what I said and we can go from there.

Best of luck to you! Exercise changed my life and it can change yours too.
Thanks so much.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #5  
Meg

I like your idea of seeing about using some class time for cardio. That would balance your program out nicely.

I think I remember you're vegan, right? Have you tried hemp protein powder? I haven't tried it myself but have heard very good things about it.

Keep us posted on how things go!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

I am vegan and that is why I am looking to protein powders. I actually have 3 brand new canisters of hemp protein waiting for me once I begin the exercise I will report back on my experience with it and the exercise (It has so much fiber but that is a good thing ).