Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default So embarrassed in the gym

Im Just so embarresed to go take any kind of class, as far as exerzise, I feel like I will be laughed out or something, but I think some other kind of activity will benifit me. I want to workout around other people, I think it will actually make me do it, so I dont make a fool out of myself. I have that gym phobia and spent alot of money on some home equimpent, but now its getting boring. I was thinking at the local rec center, or Y, if they have classes. How do I just suck it up and do it? Will I be the biggest person there? Are classes usually with all different kinds of people or is the majority fit??
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #2  
just me

S/C/G: 390/337/140

Height: 5'2

I know what you mean about being embarressed. I braved going to a tai chi class. I AM the biggest person in it. Nobody looked at me funny, in fact they were very supportive. It's a smallish class with about 15 people. I found that since I paid for the class, it gave me the insentive to go, so it wouldn't have been a waste. I also used to work at my local Y, and saw all shapes, sizes and abilities there. Just go for it! You'll be really glad you did!!
michelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #3  

Do you have a Curves in your area? Its for women only and there is all shapes and sizes there. I know it really help me tone and shape up. I loved it when I went. We would all end up laughing and talking. Mickey
mickeyimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #4  
tinasull

S/C/G: 308/184/150

Height: 5'5"

Since I started out at over 300#, I was the largest at my exercise classes. I am no longer the largest, I have lost a lot of weight. But never did I ever feel self consious, if anything, I would hear, "you go, girl!". So they admired me for working hard. I worked out in weight training, all kinds of people, ages, sizes , work out there. Many were bigger than I when I started. Most only do it for a month or two and then quit. I am in my third year of 10 hours per week, three of them weight training. The die hards like myself, who have been around these over two years, are so supportive and this is my support system. I have 40# to go, but I have lost 128# so far. I went from a size 28 to a size 14. Still have my thunder thighs as they won't go away. Tina
tinasull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/165/130

Height: 5''

I really don't think you should worry about that, most people in work out classes are all there for the same reason to lose weight. Really, when I took a class I honestly never even paid attention to it I was more worried about myself and being able to keep up with everyone. Don't let it stop you get out there and join a class you will be glad you did. And I am sure they well be very supportive.
Phoebe6422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #6  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Ohhh I know exactly how you are feeling. I have for years avoided classes and they were free ones offered at noon at work. I had so many different excuses but the bottom line I was afraid and embarassed to join in for fear of making a fool of myself. I finally realized I was making a bigger fool of myself for not using the classes. I started slowly with a fabulous core concept class -- its a fusion of pilates and yogo. Soon I was able to gather up the "strength" to attend a cardio class. I didn't know a side-step from a grapevine -- but I did it and was amazed that when you do the classes you are so busy watching yourself and the instructor you never pay any attention to the people in the class. Guess what they are all the same -- no one is giving one second glance to you or to anyone else. And as Tina said most people will just be supportive and admire you.

Curves is another excellent starting point -- great workout and it really gets us used to the group atmosphere.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #7  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

I think you should go! I go to my local Y as much as I can. They have classes for beginners, if you don't think you know what to do. They also have water aerobics if you'd rather do that. Curves is a great suggestion!!
Don't be embarassed... you're there to help yourself and work out-- no one can say anything bad about that.
HUGS!
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to do a lot of gym classes and there were people of all sizes and shapes there. I also weighed about double your weight when I first started going to gym classes. I haven't gone to gym classes for quite a while but when I did, I weighed over 300 lbs or pretty close to it. I did all sorts of classes including step, dancing, kick boxing, pilates, yoga, weights, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #9  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that those people there who are really thin...maybe they weren't always? Maybe they were in your shoes a year ago?

I've never had anyone look at me weird at Ballys. If anything I get compliments on how hard I'm working. Those people are all there to support you. Ya know what. The harder you work, the more compliments you will get from people....I get this a lot "Man! I can't even do that for that long!" It's stuff like that that drives me to work harder.

Go for it..you won't regret it!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #10  

I really didn't want to go to the gym in the beginning because I felt like everyone would be watching me or that I'd be the biggest girl but trust me I found that there are people of all shapes and sizes in the gym and best of all that some of the people are so motivational and nice... Everyone makes little mistakes , it's just up to you to go there and get involved so you can perfect your skills . x good luck
beautifulstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #11  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

You'll find all shapes and sizes in the gym, but, like most people here, it is difficult to find the courage to make that first step.
I think you should maybe take a friend or two with you, at least for the first few times you go, for support. I find my confidence is better in gyms and classes if I am with my mates, and we can have a laugh together!
Go for it chick!
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #12  
too much of a good thing!

S/C/G: 209/ACK/less than200 initially

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with those who suggested curves as a starting point. But every club is different so if you have a choice of curves location, check out all of them to see which is the best "fit" for you.

I took an aerobics class and felt pretty self conscious but the instructor chose me to demonstrate a stretch to do with a partner (an easy one!) which made me feel welcome and was a bit of a confidence booster Then I got sick and haven;t been back yet but I will get there God willing....
catsnhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #13  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I guess it's always a hard thing to go past the embarrassment and actually go to a class or to the weights room... One thing I'd add to the "choose your club well" is to make sure you don't end up in a fitness club where people go to show off. There was one in my town a few years ago: blue neons, 'hype' atmosphere, techno lusic blaring all the time out of speakers, guys and girls in showy attire... All the bling-bling, really. That would probably be a kind of place to avoid (but to be honest, overweight or not, I'd personnally avoid it all the same. I like real gyms with real women who aren't afraid of breaking a sweat and with real men who aren't afraid of breaking a sweat either. )
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote