Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #1  
girl wonder extradonaire

Height: 5"6.5

Question Tips for SORE MUSCLES

howdy all,

I am wondering if anyone has some good tips for sore muscles...I have been doing really well with my excercise lately walking and doing some cardio/excercise videos..however the parts of my body not used to being worked so much are starting to revolt

I am quite sore this morning...mostly in my thighs, a little it in the shoulders it is quite uncomfortable and it is definitley not making me look forward to my walk tonight

Any tips for how to deal with this??? please tell me it will go away once I am a little more used to excercising regularly...

any insight/tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

shannon
wondersha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Are you stretching out well after you exercise? That makes a huge difference for me. If I don't stretch well enough, I'll definitely feel a little achey in my hips and lower back.

You also should expect some soreness when you start to exercise. The first time I went to my gym, I was so sore I could barely walk. Even now that I've been working out with a trainer for well over a year, if we do something new or I lift a heavier weight than usual, I'll experience some soreness (although nowhere near as bad as that first time). A little soreness once in a while is a good thing--it means that you are working your muscles and making progress. You should find that the soreness goes away in a week or so.

Until it goes away, try taking some Ibuprofen. I've also found that those Thermacare heat wraps help, especially on my lower back. I also usually find that exercise helps with the soreness; once I get going with my workout, I usually feel a lot better.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ibuprofen and cardio - and yes, it will get less over time, but you may even grow to like it (I know it sounds weird...but really, it does get almost addicting).

The best way to get the soreness out is to drink lots of water and get the blood flowing quickly through the areas that are sore. Cardio does this very well - a good cardio session and sore legs will feel WAY better.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, sore muscles are good things! I've been doing a lot of walking in preparation for my half marathon (including 4 hour walks most weekends) and find a combination of stretching afterwards, a nice hot shower and some ibuprofen keeps me going. The other thing that helps is to keep moving. Just sitting around makes me stiffen up more. So I'll come in from my walk, strech (if I haven't outdoors), shower and change, and then just go about whatever I'd usually do - last Sat I went grocery shopping, other times I've gardened or cleaned house - something where I move.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #5  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Stretches before & after the workout are great for reducing soreness by helping getting the blood in & out of your hard-worked muscles more efficiently (also a side bonus of helping flexibility, an often-neglected portion of exercise).

For your case (thigh soreness), I'm guessing quads & hamstring stretches would do the trick. Lower-body pilates/yoga will stretch (and tone) those muscles as well.

I also agree with staying hydrated before & throughout the exercise.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #6  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Stretching before and after.
Ibuprofen
Hot baths in Epson salts
Light cardio workout the next day helps me alot.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

My personal trainer says to increase vit. C in addition to stretching, hydration, etc.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 AM   #8  
girl wonder extradonaire

Height: 5"6.5

Thank you all..

All suggestions have been noted and will be put into effect asap..I am finally headed in the right direction in regards to my health.and I don't want anythin sidetracking me..

you are all great

shannon
wondersha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

In addition to everything that's been recommended I take Glutamine for sore muscles after I finish a hard workout...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote