Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #1  

Default eliptical machine

Any advice for someone who has never used an eliptical? So far I really like it. Is it a good way to exercise? Thanks.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #2  

I love my elliptical machine. One thing though, after a long time on it sometimes my feet get a bit numb. Other than that, it's a been a great way to stay in shape when I can't get outside.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up

Hi, When I first got my elliptical I hated it, I bought it because I thought it gives a better workout than a treadmill. For a year it has sat gathering dust, until now. I finally got my lazy butt off the sofa, and use it. For someone my weight, it was hard doing even 3 minutes on it, now I am up to 25-26 minutes a day , 5-6 days a week. I think it is a great workout, if I had the $ I would probably get a treadmill , bike and bowflex to change over for variety.
I would suggest starting off slow,if you feel you can only do 5 minutes, or 20 minutes do that, and work yourself up until you feel you are doing a good workout without over doing it. I would like to eventually work up t to 35 minutes on the elliptical daily( I also use free weights , do some light aeropbics after my elliptical workout), but for now I am doing 25 and experimenting with resistance levels. Good luck with your elliptical and have fun!! Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #4  
Back to make it to goal!

Location: Seattle, but an Original CA girl! I miss the sunny days!

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/140-135?

Height: 5'3

Hi there Carol......I love my machine as well. As for advice, I would start out at a resistance of 1-2 and work my way up to atleast a 3 for awhile. But as time goes by you can warm up for 2-5 minutes, at an easy going pace, then change up the resistance another notch or two, and just go at it, as much as your body and knees can handle. I do that for about 1 min and 50 seconds, then go back to the resistance and pace I was at before for a good 3 minutes, and keep going that way once you get comfortable.It brings your heart rate up, and you're getting a great cardio workout! As for time, I started off with doing 20 mins and gradually increasing in increments of 5 mins each week. I'm now at 50 mins. I hope none of this confuses you. If you have any questions let me know!
Tinky009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love my elliptical too. I use it almost every day. On days I don't use it, I usually do weights or a DVD.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

i LOVE my ellpitical. It is the best way for me to get my cardio in...it burns more calories than anything else i have done, that i can sustain for 30 minutes anyway. It is better on my knees than walking or a treadmil too.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone. My main reason for getting one is that I have a chronic illness and I am not supposed to be in the sun. So far I really like it and listen to stories on the computer while using it.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote