3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   eliptical machine (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/113622-eliptical-machine.html)

carolr3639 05-26-2007 09:46 PM

eliptical machine

Any advice for someone who has never used an eliptical? So far I really like it. Is it a good way to exercise? Thanks.

boarderchick 05-27-2007 06:13 PM

I love my elliptical machine. One thing though, after a long time on it sometimes my feet get a bit numb. Other than that, it's a been a great way to stay in shape when I can't get outside.

hellokitty81668 05-27-2007 08:05 PM

Hi, When I first got my elliptical I hated it, I bought it because I thought it gives a better workout than a treadmill. For a year it has sat gathering dust, until now. I finally got my lazy butt off the sofa, and use it. For someone my weight, it was hard doing even 3 minutes on it, now I am up to 25-26 minutes a day , 5-6 days a week. I think it is a great workout, if I had the $ I would probably get a treadmill , bike and bowflex to change over for variety.
I would suggest starting off slow,if you feel you can only do 5 minutes, or 20 minutes do that, and work yourself up until you feel you are doing a good workout without over doing it. I would like to eventually work up t to 35 minutes on the elliptical daily( I also use free weights , do some light aeropbics after my elliptical workout), but for now I am doing 25 and experimenting with resistance levels. Good luck with your elliptical and have fun!! Cheryl

Tinky009 05-27-2007 08:06 PM

Hi there Carol......I love my machine as well. As for advice, I would start out at a resistance of 1-2 and work my way up to atleast a 3 for awhile. But as time goes by you can warm up for 2-5 minutes, at an easy going pace, then change up the resistance another notch or two, and just go at it, as much as your body and knees can handle. I do that for about 1 min and 50 seconds, then go back to the resistance and pace I was at before for a good 3 minutes, and keep going that way once you get comfortable.It brings your heart rate up, and you're getting a great cardio workout! As for time, I started off with doing 20 mins and gradually increasing in increments of 5 mins each week. I'm now at 50 mins. I hope none of this confuses you. If you have any questions let me know! :D

nelie 05-27-2007 09:51 PM

I love my elliptical too. I use it almost every day. On days I don't use it, I usually do weights or a DVD.

Get n healthy 05-27-2007 10:33 PM

i LOVE my ellpitical. It is the best way for me to get my cardio in...it burns more calories than anything else i have done, that i can sustain for 30 minutes anyway. It is better on my knees than walking or a treadmil too.

carolr3639 05-28-2007 11:04 AM

Thanks everyone. My main reason for getting one is that I have a chronic illness and I am not supposed to be in the sun. So far I really like it and listen to stories on the computer while using it.