Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #1  
STi

Default Was gonna buy a treadmill but i got this instead...just as good or?

Was gonna put out $500 for a treadmill but my girl had an excercise bike with the arm thingies...so far i been doing 10 miles a day which is roughly 30 mins of riding...do you think this is as good as a treadmill or no? I had planned on 5 miles a day on treadmill.
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Those arm bike thingies are really hard! You'd need quite a bit of upper body strength to get the kind of workout on the arm machine that you can get on the treadmill. Legs are just stronger and more used to strenuous exercise.

So I'd say that it probably depends on your upper body strength, but that the treadmill would be a better bet, overall.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Anything that you enjoy and gets you moving and shaking is a good workout
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #4  
STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Those arm bike thingies are really hard! You'd need quite a bit of upper body strength to get the kind of workout on the arm machine that you can get on the treadmill. Legs are just stronger and more used to strenuous exercise.

So I'd say that it probably depends on your upper body strength, but that the treadmill would be a better bet, overall.
Well i'm male so it's rather easy....and it does work up a sweat! The thing is this exercise bike is free and a treadmill would be $500 and i only have 15lb to go so i'm not sure it's worth it.
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ah, well men obviously have more upper body strength than women, so that might make it more viable for you. I still say the treadmill would be better overall, but if you can make the arm thing work, then go ahead and work it!

Also, and excuse the preaching, the exercise can't stop just because you reach your goal! It's important for your overall health as well as weight loss maintenance.

Take the free arm bike and use it for a few months. You can re-evaluate your fitness needs further down the line.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote