3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   One step forward, 3 steps back (health issues) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/111716-one-step-forward-3-steps-back-health-issues.html)

catsnhorses 05-04-2007 01:59 PM

One step forward, 3 steps back (health issues)

Well, here I am, a newb on this board... and struggling with diet and exercise. Dist is a whole other source of angst. I'll lurk around the diet boards for that. But here I'm looking for help/input on exercise with health challenges.

I have osteoarthritis in my lower back and hips. Slipped disk in lower back. Not sure what is up with my knees but they frequently HURT and my right knee started to crackle when I go up stairs.

I have sore feet too, they said plantar fasciitis, now they say metatarsalgia (pain in the big bones/ ball of foot). I have been to sooooo many docs and alternative practitioners and physio for my feet. Nothing has helped.

Fibromyalgia has been suggested too. Or some sort of vague musulo-skeletal thing.

Borderline high blood pressure too.

ALL the docs say lose weight ... and exercise ... but it's not that easy or I wouldn;t be here. :( (maybe it should be :) b/c there are some nice folks on here, I can tell already :) )

I joined a gym but couldn't do half the stuff... I need really really basic pre-beginner classes!! but I was enjoying it anyways b/c most of the folks are nice and non-judgemental.

Then I had acute back pain (hello, ER) and was told to rest for 4-6 weeks and take it easy. It feels like when I start something, something goes wrong. I don;t know if it was something at the gym that put my back out. The docs couldn't say. I was working with a personal trainer too, in the hope of avoiding such probs. :(

So what this long whiney post is about is........... is anyone else struggling with health issues that they told you to lose weight/diet/exercise for, but the health problems are getting in the way of exercising??

What helps to get over that hurdle?

toofatforu 05-04-2007 03:19 PM

i am struggling with knee pain.. everytime i get to where i can walk on my treadmill i start having issues with real physical pain... all my knee problems started in dec. and hasnt gotten any better yet. it is soo frustarating to me so i really can relate

nelie 05-04-2007 03:25 PM

Crazy,

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and last year I went to physical therapy. It helped a lot. I am wondering if you would be able to go to a physical therapist or someone who would know how to medically work around (and improve) your current issues.

catsnhorses 05-04-2007 08:10 PM

thanks for the replies...

toofatforu, I found that my back and knees hurt MORE on the treadmill than walking outside or in the mall. Is walking off the treadmill an option for you? I am scared of the treadmill now :o so it is gathering dust.

nelie - I have spent enough on physio this year for the feet and the back. i think the financial manager (a.k.a. husband) might have a conniption if I announce that another bit of me needs therapy. :( I am starting to lean more towards dieting to lose some of the weight and do very gentle exercise and hope that this will relieve some of the pains. BUT the sticky point is what is gentle enough but will still be effective?