3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cool Runners - May (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/111343-cool-runners-may.html)

YP1 05-01-2007 03:54 AM

Cool Runners - May

So, it's a new month, the sun is shining, and I've got a birthday and a marathon this month. I've also got a half and a 10k pencilled in as warm up races. How about everyone else?

This morning I did a fairly easy 4.5 miles on the treadmill. I was still a bit sore from the walk on Sunday so told myself I'd do 15 minutes then see how I felt. Walking and running must use slightly different muscles - I felt absolutely fine when I was running and carried on far longer than I'd hoped, but the second I pressed the cooldown button and started walking, some of the niggles from the walk came back!

I'm meant to be doing 12 - 13 miles after work tomorrow, so hopefully my legs will have recovered yet more before then.

NavyWifeDee 05-01-2007 07:54 AM

May, YAY!

So, after being in a funk, I've gotten back up to 2 miles, and I have a 5k this weekend, and another in a couple of weeks. I'm still slow, but at least I'm out there. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get to 5 miles at a time.

ennay 05-01-2007 09:37 AM

I've got a half for mothers day weekend so I am in taper as of today! woohoo!

And I am training with my hood-to-coast team so getting my butt well and truly kicked every tuesday evening

I'm running 5 days a week now but as soon as it warms up a bit, one of those will become a biking day

Ilene 05-02-2007 12:26 AM

Thanks for starting the May thread Helen :)

I haven't run in a few days, I've been biking, it's a bit chilly but very refreshing :D ...

shygrly 05-02-2007 05:28 AM

i ran 2.75 miles today. I'm slowly increasing the amount i run, by .25 miles a week.

LisaMarie71 05-02-2007 08:42 AM

Ugh, still no run since my painful 2 miles Saturday. The tendonitis (if that's what it is) is still giving me pain, though I've been icing it and staying off it as much as possible. I'm considering trying a nice slow jog this afternoon, but I don't want to hurt myself. Blah!

YP1 05-02-2007 05:40 PM

Take care Lisa :hug:

I did 12.7 miles tonight after work. I really didn't want to run, and considered doing the short option, but now it's done I'm glad I did the long one. My legs are fine now after the walk on Sunday, so I have no excuses for skipping my last long run next Sunday now ;)

jelynn 05-02-2007 10:45 PM

Hi ladies, quick question...I fell off the running wagon about 3 months ago before I was *really* proficient, but I had done couch to 5K and could do 25 minutes or so without stopping. I got on the treadmill today and could do 4-5 minutes at a time with a one minute walk break. Any idea how long it will take to build up my endurance to where I was? Is it going to take weeks and weeks?

I'm so a wannabe runner and really want to keep with it this time.
thanks for any advice!

ennay 05-02-2007 11:26 PM

Emily, it will probably come back a lot faster this time. A lot of running is mental. Once you KNOW you can run a distance, it seems to be easier each time.

YP1 05-03-2007 03:49 AM

I'm sure it will come back a lot quicker too. You know that you can do it, you just need to remind your legs that you can!

ennay 05-03-2007 11:04 AM

6.25 this morning

LisaMarie71 05-03-2007 11:06 AM

I'm not feeling as much pain in my foot today, just a slight tenderness when I touch it. I'm thinking of giving it a try today after school -- maybe a short jog on the treadmill, something easy. I miss it so much!! If it hurts a lot after that, I'm seeing a doctor.

shananigans 05-03-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelynn (Post 1679180)
Hi ladies, quick question...I fell off the running wagon about 3 months ago before I was *really* proficient, but I had done couch to 5K and could do 25 minutes or so without stopping. I got on the treadmill today and could do 4-5 minutes at a time with a one minute walk break. Any idea how long it will take to build up my endurance to where I was? Is it going to take weeks and weeks?

I'm so a wannabe runner and really want to keep with it this time.
thanks for any advice!

I started c25k last fall and mostly took the winter off. Only took me about a month of retraining to get back up to 30 min, so I imagine your progress will be sped up considerably as well.

Only one run in so far this week, plan to get out there again tonight. Just feeling a little fatigued lately. Also, on my last run I was feeling a little pain/tightness down my calves and in my ankles. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that just something you can expect from time to time?

LisaMarie - Hope your foot is better!

LisaMarie71 05-03-2007 06:17 PM

Thanks, shananigans.

I tried the treadmill today and it was NOT good. I ran a mile and it hurt. I probably shouldn't have even done that. Think I'll see a doctor. :(

hikerchick 05-03-2007 07:59 PM

Lisa, what a bummer. Lots of healing thoughts your way.

Had a good but uneventful run today. The ipod has totally changed my perspective and pace. I haven't timed myself but I think I am running faster. Music is a performance enhancing drug it seems.