Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #1  

Default Curves

Hi ladies,
I need everyone's true opinion of Curves (or programs like it, that involves circuit training) Did you see results? Was it worth the money? What were the downsides to it? I'm thinking about joining, but am so unsure so I decided to ask the experts(real women who have tried it!)
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #2  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Lot's of people really love Curves. I didn't. I thought it cost too much for what ya get and I didn't like the whole contract thing. After 6 months I was extremely bored with it and found myself spending additional monies buying DVD's and weights to do @ home that offered me more of a challenge, but that's just me. I DID lose inches and not much weight @ Curves, and I liked talking to the ladies around the cirle as I did it, but it just got way too easy for me. I had to pay $60 something bucks to get out of my contract.

Here's a thread with some more opinions on Curves for you.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108418
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have been a member of Curves for 3 years and have never had a contract.Right now I am on hold as I have a broken shoulder, they are not charging me anything until I can return.I have experience with 3 different Curves in California and my experience has all been positive.I checked other places before joining including the Y and the all were way too expensive.Curves is a franchise so different locations may vary as to fees, etc.I would reccommend it , just be sure to get all the facts for your particular location.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #4  
Wanna Be a Loser

S/C/G: 221/206/155

I went to Curves yesterday and signed up for a 3-wk Fitness Study for $20. I will go 3 times a week for those 3 weeks, and at the end of the 3 weeks, if I decide not to join, then I get my $20 back. I think it will be $29 a month if I do join. My first day will be Tuesday.
They may have something like this at your Curves, so it would be a great way to try it out before you make a commitment. Good luck!
jokemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Everything costs. You get what you pay for and all that. And most gyms of any sort have some type of contract. I chose to put $30/mo. into Curves instead of $40/mo. into a gym. For me, I was pregnant and knew I could handle Curves, could scale back as needed. With a gym, I only wanted to join for the treadmills and couldn't run anymore after my 4th month. So it would've been a waste. Pick what you're going to actually do.

As for whether or not its worth it to individuals, its going to depend on what you put into it as to what you'll get out of it. I found Curves getting easier too. So I ramped up my workout. I took an advanced course where you do the workout at your normal pace, then strive to add 3 more reps on each machine. I also did aerobic workouts on the platforms to get and keep my heart rate up. I never found Curves to be easy because of that, because I chose not to let it get easy. I'm sorry that I had to give up my membership this year because I have no one to watch my son and so I can't go exercise there.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I thought about joining Curves because it seemed less scary than the gym. But the women who own/run my local Curves are all overweight. More overweight than I was when I started. And I thought that if it wasn't working for the women who owned the place, then it sure as heck wasn't going to work for me!

So I ended up at Bally's with a personal trainer instead (which is way more expensive than I'm sure Curves would have been, but it definitely worked for me).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been going to Curves since August. I agree with almostheaven you do get out of it what you put into it. I go at least three times a week, I know some days I put more into it than others. I joined Curves after 6 months of WW. I do really feel that it has helped. I'm not sure I would have dropped 4to 5 sizes in clothes with the same weight loss with out the tonning I get from the workouts. I could have been doing DVD's or somthing at home but I don't think I would have been as committed. I particapate in all the challenges they run (I've acutally place in each of them) that helps to motivate me. I have been thinking about a gym or something when my contract runs out but I'm sure it will cost more and I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a gym at my weight and age in mixed company. If I decide to go to a gym I will definetly get a personal trainer, I no nothing about most gym equipment. Like Kelly suggested see if they have a trial program available before you make a committment, see if they will let you do 3 months at a time in case you get bored with it.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #8  

I'm actually trying Fitness 4 Her. It's still the circuit training that curves offers but it also has a cardio room with recessed bike, treadmills and elliptical. They also offer a few classes. I got to try it for 3 days without joining . I'm actually surprised that I did work up a sweat on the machines. I've been checking my heartrate, which it has been in the aerobic stage. I guess I need to try for the high intensity stage for it to do anygood.
Lisa36 is offline   Reply With Quote