Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #1  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Default Swimming question.

I need some advice.

Do we have some swimmers in here? I was wondering how benificial it would be to me to go to the Community center pool 2 days a week and do laps? I have yucky(fat) arms and really wanna get them toned up. I am already doing at least 50 minutes of cardio 4 to 5 days a week in addiction to a lower calorie diet. Will laps help this and if so how many should I do?

I remember a couple of summer ago we went swimming alot in the lake and i did lose weight then and tined up a good bit. I really wanna tone these arms up for sleeveless shirts and stuff this summer.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Swimming is a great aerobic exercise (cardio), and will help tone up your entire body since it uses upper body, lower body and core muscles. It is also a non-impact exercise and injury is rare. I have no idea what kind of cardio you are doing, but you could replace some of it with swimming, get some great cross training effects, and reduce your risk of injury. If you swim for exercise, swimming at an aerobic pace, breathing hard but not gasping for air, is what you want to shoot for. Like any new exercise, start slowly and build time and intensity as you improve. Swimming lessons are great for improving your stroke if it has been a while since you've been in the pool. And finally, respect the water, and swim with a lifeguard or at the very least a buddy.

Yes, swimming will make your arms and core look better, but the only way to get rid of fat anywhere in the body is to use it up, by using more calories than you take in, and it sounds like you are on the right track there. Also, if you are looking for muscular definition, you can probably get more of that (and more quickly) through strength training, which builds muscle in your arms.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Red face

Anne, thank you very much for that imformative answer. I'm excited now! I've been busting my booty 4 to 5 day's a week doing step aerobics for 50 minutes or more minutes and I have been hurting in some places. I got a minor shin splint situation last week and I get knee pain a lot, so if the swimming is a good toning AND aerobic ativity, I am so there! I've decided to take 2 day's a week and go to the community center pool and get my swimming on. I am a lil' worried about my hair though. I have long, bottle blonde hair, so I will have to look into some protective measures on that end.

One more question. How long or how many laps is good?

Thank you muchos!!!!

Roni

Last edited by Diva; 03-25-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added a Question.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #4  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Red face

Hi ya swimmers! I am getting the bike fixed soon and have decided to ride it 2 or 3 day's a week to the Community center to swim laps. My knees are giving me such a hard time, so I figure the bike riding and swimming will be good too.

Anywho, the bike ride is going to be 4 miles (to and from) up and down hilly roads. I was wanting to know what is a good number of Swimming laps to do? 30, 50? I know to start slow and build up, but what would a newbie number be? I can swim and all, I practically grew up in the water, it's just been a while.... Plus I don't want to poop myself out too much for the 2 mile bike ride home....

Thanks!