What is a rowing machine?

• I alwya hear about these but since i dont know what they look like I can t do it. Anyone know how to tell me what it looks like..And what it is good for..THanks.
    Amy
  • ??

It's a machine at the gym. You need to have access to the machine to use it.

They're used for cardio. They're non-impact and they're the only popular cardio apparatus that works the upper body more than the lower body.

Pictures here: http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/rowingmachines.html
  • I have a gym membership. I will have to look around and see if I can find it. Is it normally with the cardio equipment? If so I have not seen anything that looks like that....Hmm..I guess I could ask!
    Thanks
    Amy
  • I use the row machine at our gym on a regular basis. I love it because it is cardio/upper body all in one.

It is a long machine, low to the ground. It has a sliding seat and you strap your feet in towards the front of it to keep you stable. There is a bar attached to a rope, also near the front.

All you do is sit on the sliding seat, buckle in your feet, and pretend like you are rowing a boat pretty much LOL. It can actually be pretty peaceful. There are usually different levels of resistance you can choose.

Our row machines aren't in the main part of the gym with the treadmills, they are up on the top floor with the track..
  • I did look around but did not see anything like that..Hmm..I will have to give in and ask I guess..I jsut dont want to look silly.Like I ask while stnading right next to the thing!
  • Ah, the Ergometer!

Check out http://www.concept2.com/us/products/...js=0&id=rowers

If your gym has one, it is probably by Concept2. They make the ones the Olympic Team trains on.

They are a seriously hard-core workout, but you control how hard it is by how hard and fast you pull. In the past, I could do an hour-plus on one, and I definitely was in shape!

(ObDisclaimer: I don't work for Concept2, heh! Or own stock in the company hehehe!)