Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 182/158/160

Height: 5'7"

Big thread, I didn't read it in detail but did skim most of it.

First off the cause of knee issues (that are not related to an acute injury) are 2 fold.

1-being something arthritic, this is caused by low level systemic inflammation and can be fixed/cured with a proper diet, (avoiding foods high in lectins and making sure omega-3/6 is balanced).

2-related to a muscular imbalance laterally or front to back. There is a test called the functional movement screen that tests for these types of imbalances that has exercises corresponding to each specific imbalance.

The most common imbalance is weak gluteus, pelvic tilt and poor thoracic mobility, which causes the hamstring to bear more load then they should. This is due to sitting for long durations, and heel striking when running or walking.

The goblet squat is probably the best exercise to improve knee range of motion and the muscles around the knee to support it. I can not post links but there are youtube videos you can easily find.

Foam rolling is also a great way to help with this issue, especially for runners or people with tight IT band (iliotibial band).

I would suggest finding a physical therapist or chiropractor that is familiar with Active Release and the FMS.
justhamade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 172/165/130

Height: 5'4

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you can make arthritis pain in the knees go away with a special diet...

Just my opinion.
Tekakwitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #93  
zukachicks

S/C/G: 185.2/185.2/155

Height: 5'5"

find a really good joint supplement! i have had 3 knee surgeries and i couldn't live without TRIPLEFLEX. it contains glucosomine, clondrotin and MSM (i think i spelled those right) these were recommended to me by my orthopedic and have made a huge difference. the combination is meant to encourage the healing and lubrication of tired joints. if you watch kmart they have them b1g1 all the time.
zukachicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #94  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekakwitha View Post
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you can make arthritis pain in the knees go away with a special diet...

Just my opinion.
It depends. Arthritis is joint inflammation, so anything that reduces overall inflammation can help. For me, potatoes make my knees ache, swell and rub. So I don't eat potatoes. I suspect that other nightshade vegetables have a similar effect, but it's not as strong, and I don't tend to eat much of them at any one time. There's no particular reason to believe that other people ought to avoid potatoes to improve joint health, but it's worth being aware that something in your diet may be aggravating things.

At the moment, my knee problems are caused primarily by not squatting far enough "back" in my exercise routine. Nothing to do but take the time to fix my form and do some basic PT (electrostim/heat/cold/stretches/etc). Until I get it right and rehab my knees a bit, they'll be achy and catch in the mornings and when I bend them too much. I'd be glad for a diet bullet to make it easier, but there really isn't one.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #95  

The best recommendation I could give for knees due to personal experience would be a sufficient amount of quality glucosomine products. I prefer the liquid forms as they seem more direct to the joints (it's a mind thing I think) but after using some products 1-2 weeks I stopped hearing the pops so much in my knees and it felt no where near as bad as it did to get up off the sofa or floor or wherever. The only problem is that when I stop taking the products, eventually the pains in my joints starts to come back so it sucks that you have to add it to your regular regime.

I do believe some exercises help strengthen those areas, but it seems like once it gets too bad, you're just kind of stuck to relying on products. If anyone knows of a better method, plz do tell.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #96  

Nice discussion, i like it..
Ernifani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #97  

Have you tried using an elliptical?! Because you are not constantly picking your feet up and down you placing pressure on your knees it's not as intense on your knees!
Jentry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #98  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I have terrible knees, they make horrid grindy crunchy noises every time they move. I have just started using an elliptical for exercise, and my knees haven't hurt a bit. The rest of my legs burn like ****-fire but my knees are just fine! I am hoping that as the weight comes off, the stress on my knees will be reduced and I can start strengthening them up a bit more. I don't want to have to have new knees before I am 40!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #99  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

I lost nearly 70lbs last year, one of the main reasons is that moving house walking up and down 1 flight of shallow steps my knees were hurting me! WARNING!

Since then they've been fine even after i do a hard run or some stair training they are sound.

Lucky escape i think
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #100  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
I lost nearly 70lbs last year, one of the main reasons is that moving house walking up and down 1 flight of shallow steps my knees were hurting me! WARNING!

Since then they've been fine even after i do a hard run or some stair training they are sound.

Lucky escape i think
Congrats, that's a fantastic loss! I worry that genetically I am already starting out with bad knees. My grandmother had hers replaced at 80-something, my dad needs them replaced at 63 (but doesn't qualify yet) and I KNOW that if I don't drop this extra weight, I too will need new ones, probably before I hit 40!

I will continue along with the lowest impact exercise I can do, until the grindy crunchy noise isn't quite so loud....
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 185/185/140

Height: 5' 5"

great info thanks!
moldygrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad to see this thread, if only because I'm the only person under 40 that I know of who has knee problems. I'm 31, and I was just diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (basically, my kneecap slips out of place and hits my femur, causing a lot of pain.) I wear a knee brace now, and I'm working on strengthening the muscles around my knee. I have a really hard time with some exercises, especially lunges and squats, but I'm doing them anyway in the hope that it will help improve this. Losing weight probably wouldn't hurt either!
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #103  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha29 View Post
I'm so glad to see this thread, if only because I'm the only person under 40 that I know of who has knee problems. I'm 31, and I was just diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (basically, my kneecap slips out of place and hits my femur, causing a lot of pain.) I wear a knee brace now, and I'm working on strengthening the muscles around my knee. I have a really hard time with some exercises, especially lunges and squats, but I'm doing them anyway in the hope that it will help improve this. Losing weight probably wouldn't hurt either!
Sasha, my DD had that when she was really young, like 15, so it's no biggie to have it at any age... It is primarily caused my an imbalance of the quad muscles, the smaller/weaker muscle beside the larger/stronger muscle, needs to be strenghtened ... my daughter did simple quad exercises... at 23 it's gone unless she tries to run a lot... I have this problem also, when I do, I just make sure to do a lot of leg extensions on the machine at the gym, if you don't have a gym try just sitting in a chair and lifting your leg straight out in front of you, preferably with a weight on your ankle...

If you can you could see a physio therapist... that would be the best route...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Ilene! My doctor did give me some exercises to do, and then I figured I might as well start trying to get everything stronger. Unfortunately, I can't do physical therapy until I'm sure my insurance will cover it. Right now, they're denying it as a pre-existing condition. I envy Canadians and your socialized medicine!
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Yanno, I never had troubles with my dagum knees back in my 20's or early 30's...or late 30's for that matter, but now @ 39 almost 40 , just about everytime I aerobosize, I hurt my knees and have to ice them and walk around limping! I am TRYING to lose weight here and I really need some cooperation from the knees!!!
Have you tried knee braces? Every once in a while one knee will give me some problems--but I just wrap one of those neopreme cheap braces you can purchase at about any store. It delivers a little heat to the knee--and cures the problem.

Wear them while you exercise--and make certain you're wearing good walking/aerobic/running shoes-(depending on what you're doing for exercise)-that is extremely important. I buy good aerobic (now often referred to as studio shoes)--and I also put in those high heel/pump type clear thin flexible inserts in my work out shoes. Ha.Ha.--they work great in running--aerobic and walking shoes, even though they're not advertised for that use. They cover just the heel and ball of the foot-(aka the impact area)-so you still have lots of toe room in your shoe. They're so thin--that you don't have to remove the in-soles of the shoe--so I get double protection against shin splints and other injuries to ankles--knees and hips due to aerobic/walking or running impact. My feet and knees no longer bother me when I work-out because of these items and I am 60 years old--4 times a week Jazzerciser and do a lot of jumping around. I even monkey glued a pair into my Teeva sandals. About every store (Walgreens/Walmart/Safeway) sells them for about $8.00--and they last about six months too. Then if you work out a lot make certain to replace your shoes every six months--and don't wear them around the house-they're-just to workout in only. You can purchase good shoes at any exercise shoe place in the mall--and there you will be able to get help with what type of shoe you need depending on what type of exercise you're doing. Try on several different pairs to see which one works for you. Personally I like Ryka but everyone has a personal preference. You can also do some reading on the internet-to see other buyers comments-how they like the shoe--what it's for, how the size fits them etc. etc.--before you purchase. You can also purchase them on-line.

Take a little time off from the kind of exercise that's bothering your knees--figure out why they're bothering you-(shoes you're wearing--over pronation of the foot? etc.)- then do some exercises related to strengthening your quads and muscles that hold your knee in place. Then after a couple of weeks of that try your routine again. Then--If you still have a problems change routines--but do not give up exercising.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-05-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote