3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

My KNEES! I feel so old....

Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma415 View Post
I'm only 22 and have knee problems. I used to play basketball in high school and was rammed by a boy on my team (who often expressed how girls shouldn't be aloud in sports) and landed bad on both knees. I went to the doctor and he told me I had Chondromalacia which is where the cartilage goes soft from injury and causes the bones to rub together. It hurts just to go up stairs and doing anything where any weight is put on my knees while bending, they pop constantly. I kneel on the floor and sound like a fire cracker going off. Basically all this crappy doctor did was give me a piece of paper saying what I had and told me there was some exercises I could do to help it, but I guess he just assumed I find out what they were on my own (this same crappy doctor swore I was on meth when I came in about my migraines, even went so far as to do blood work on me). Anyone know some good exercises? Or was this doctor stupid and doing those exercises going to make it worse?
I'm 22 as well and have knee problems too : ( I find doing the elliptical makes me feel better and isn't hard on the knees at all. : ) as far as exercises I try not to do anything really involving my knees such as squats, lunges, etc. Basically anything having to bending the knees. It aggervates it more. As far as strengthening it I don't really know any workouts. But all I do is just make sure to workout. : )
sweetgirly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #92

Take care!
emasptv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #93

S/C/G: 172/165/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgirly1 View Post
I'm 22 as well and have knee problems too : ( I find doing the elliptical makes me feel better and isn't hard on the knees at all. : ) as far as exercises I try not to do anything really involving my knees such as squats, lunges, etc. Basically anything having to bending the knees. It aggervates it more. As far as strengthening it I don't really know any workouts. But all I do is just make sure to workout. : )
I'm 21 and have had knee problems since I was in elementary school. Went to the doctor for them and was diagnosed with Oshgoodshlaughters disease. Without getting into all the technical mumbo jumbo it basically caused a bump below my knee cap on both knees and I was in quite a bit of pain. I was told I would eventually grow out of it. Fast forward to the age of 16 when I was supposed to grow out of it and I was still have tremendous pain in my knees after activites. I'm 21 now and still have pain quite often. My knees pop all the time and swell. My doctor diagnosed me with athritis and gave me a pill, which generally helps.

I happen to be training to become a police officer and part of the training includes a 1.5 mile run so I really just have to suck it up for now.
Tekakwitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #94

S/C/G: 182/158/160

Height: 5'7"

Big thread, I didn't read it in detail but did skim most of it.

First off the cause of knee issues (that are not related to an acute injury) are 2 fold.

1-being something arthritic, this is caused by low level systemic inflammation and can be fixed/cured with a proper diet, (avoiding foods high in lectins and making sure omega-3/6 is balanced).

2-related to a muscular imbalance laterally or front to back. There is a test called the functional movement screen that tests for these types of imbalances that has exercises corresponding to each specific imbalance.

The most common imbalance is weak gluteus, pelvic tilt and poor thoracic mobility, which causes the hamstring to bear more load then they should. This is due to sitting for long durations, and heel striking when running or walking.

The goblet squat is probably the best exercise to improve knee range of motion and the muscles around the knee to support it. I can not post links but there are youtube videos you can easily find.

Foam rolling is also a great way to help with this issue, especially for runners or people with tight IT band (iliotibial band).

I would suggest finding a physical therapist or chiropractor that is familiar with Active Release and the FMS.
justhamade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #95

S/C/G: 172/165/130

Height: 5'4

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you can make arthritis pain in the knees go away with a special diet...

Just my opinion.
Tekakwitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #96
zukachicks

S/C/G: 185.2/185.2/155

Height: 5'5"

find a really good joint supplement! i have had 3 knee surgeries and i couldn't live without TRIPLEFLEX. it contains glucosomine, clondrotin and MSM (i think i spelled those right) these were recommended to me by my orthopedic and have made a huge difference. the combination is meant to encourage the healing and lubrication of tired joints. if you watch kmart they have them b1g1 all the time.
zukachicks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #97
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekakwitha View Post
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you can make arthritis pain in the knees go away with a special diet...

Just my opinion.
It depends. Arthritis is joint inflammation, so anything that reduces overall inflammation can help. For me, potatoes make my knees ache, swell and rub. So I don't eat potatoes. I suspect that other nightshade vegetables have a similar effect, but it's not as strong, and I don't tend to eat much of them at any one time. There's no particular reason to believe that other people ought to avoid potatoes to improve joint health, but it's worth being aware that something in your diet may be aggravating things.

At the moment, my knee problems are caused primarily by not squatting far enough "back" in my exercise routine. Nothing to do but take the time to fix my form and do some basic PT (electrostim/heat/cold/stretches/etc). Until I get it right and rehab my knees a bit, they'll be achy and catch in the mornings and when I bend them too much. I'd be glad for a diet bullet to make it easier, but there really isn't one.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #98

The best recommendation I could give for knees due to personal experience would be a sufficient amount of quality glucosomine products. I prefer the liquid forms as they seem more direct to the joints (it's a mind thing I think) but after using some products 1-2 weeks I stopped hearing the pops so much in my knees and it felt no where near as bad as it did to get up off the sofa or floor or wherever. The only problem is that when I stop taking the products, eventually the pains in my joints starts to come back so it sucks that you have to add it to your regular regime.

I do believe some exercises help strengthen those areas, but it seems like once it gets too bad, you're just kind of stuck to relying on products. If anyone knows of a better method, plz do tell.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #99

Nice discussion, i like it..
Ernifani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #100

Have you tried using an elliptical?! Because you are not constantly picking your feet up and down you placing pressure on your knees it's not as intense on your knees!
Jentry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #101
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I have terrible knees, they make horrid grindy crunchy noises every time they move. I have just started using an elliptical for exercise, and my knees haven't hurt a bit. The rest of my legs burn like ****-fire but my knees are just fine! I am hoping that as the weight comes off, the stress on my knees will be reduced and I can start strengthening them up a bit more. I don't want to have to have new knees before I am 40!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #102
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

I lost nearly 70lbs last year, one of the main reasons is that moving house walking up and down 1 flight of shallow steps my knees were hurting me! WARNING!

Since then they've been fine even after i do a hard run or some stair training they are sound.

Lucky escape i think
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #103
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
I lost nearly 70lbs last year, one of the main reasons is that moving house walking up and down 1 flight of shallow steps my knees were hurting me! WARNING!

Since then they've been fine even after i do a hard run or some stair training they are sound.

Lucky escape i think
Congrats, that's a fantastic loss! I worry that genetically I am already starting out with bad knees. My grandmother had hers replaced at 80-something, my dad needs them replaced at 63 (but doesn't qualify yet) and I KNOW that if I don't drop this extra weight, I too will need new ones, probably before I hit 40!

I will continue along with the lowest impact exercise I can do, until the grindy crunchy noise isn't quite so loud....
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #104

S/C/G: 185/185/140

Height: 5' 5"

great info thanks!
moldygrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #105

S/C/G: 200/197/115 (as of 04/30/2014)

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad to see this thread, if only because I'm the only person under 40 that I know of who has knee problems. I'm 31, and I was just diagnosed with patellofemoral pain syndrome (basically, my kneecap slips out of place and hits my femur, causing a lot of pain.) I wear a knee brace now, and I'm working on strengthening the muscles around my knee. I have a really hard time with some exercises, especially lunges and squats, but I'm doing them anyway in the hope that it will help improve this. Losing weight probably wouldn't hurt either!
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.