My KNEES! I feel so old....

You're on Page 6 of 9
Go to
  • I have been having pain in my left knee...I read all through this to get some info No insurance so I need to deal with this on my own if I can. I think I need to give my knee a rest from the workouts I do, I do vids at home, mostly step (Keli Roberts, Gilad, some Cathe) I do NOT have access to swimming, I guess we could buy an elliptical but there are a billion other things we need more.

Can anyone suggest what I can do for cardio, at home, not on a bike, that will not stress my knee?

Unfortunately I work retail and am on my feet all day. I did buy an Ace Moderate Support Open Patella wrap, which seems to help.
  • VermontMom : My daughter had sore knees, her knee cap. Is that where the pain is for you? He recommended to do quad strengthening exercises...Here is a quad exercise using a machine but you can do this sitting down or standing up, standing is more difficult but better than sitting... Here is an explanation of what my daughter had, this may or may not be what you have Patella Femoral Syndrome

Hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress...
  • Ilene - a belated thanks for your input I have an online friend who is a registered nurse, I described my symptoms to him and this is what he told me...

"This is what I hear...Not lateral pain. Not medial pain. no locking of knee..Rules out meniscus. No history of acute trauma, therefore not likely collateral ligament injury...Possible patella bursitis. If so, the naproxen will make a big diffrence in 3-5 days...Other possibilities left are a cruciate ligament tear. Possible from your aerobics, but not usual without acute injury. the cruciates don't gradually become problematic.. For awhile you were descibing a bakers cyst, but not likely. Not much left to figure out without a hands on eval....Therefore, be really deligent with the naproxen and don't skip dosage. In a week , you will fell much better, or your symptoms will become more specific. Good luck. Keep me informed... Just take a break from lower body exercise. Maybe flexibilities or yoga only. Only within pain free motion."

So I did take a break from lower body exercise, and took Aleve for a week. I also researched cardio exercises for people with bad knees and tried to do that...for me that is so hard, because I just HAVE to follow a video or dvd, not watch the clock while i shadow-boxed for 2 minutes, but I tried my best..

I was really afraid of gaining because the regular exercise is my saving grace, it is very hard for me to restrict my calories (no will power) but I see that I really have to buckle down and find some will power!

but I am SO happy because my knee has been pain free for a few days now!
  • This thread is another reason why I freakin love this place!
  • I am 33 and never had knee problems until I put all my weight on, then I would take a little off and put it back on. I have lost 6lbs so far since Jan 1 and last week was my first week of walking/jogging and my knees are soooo sore. I know its because of the weight. Is it bad to just keep going and thinking the pain will eventually go away or go to a doctor to be safe. I know I should start off slow and just walk for awhile then pick it up. I walk 6 miles everyday even if it is lightly raining. Am I crazy?
  • Quote: ... I walk 6 miles everyday even if it is lightly raining. Am I crazy?
    Nope.. I walked all winter here in the northeast. One problem was falling on the ice hidden under the snow, so I used boot cleats (yak trax) and a ski pole. I'd walk snow sleet and rain. Now that it is spring, it's a cakewalk.

These days , I walk 6 miles a day, I get up at 6 to do it before work. I started because of knee problems, just about a 18 months ago. My left knee was so bad I walked without bending it. The bone doctor ruled out a tear in the meniscus ( a previous problem with my right knee) The physical therapist recommended light exercise. When I began , I could not walk around the block.

These days I can't wait to hit the streets before the neighborhood kids line up for the school bus
  • Quote:
    These days , I walk 6 miles a day, I get up at 6 to do it before work. I started because of knee problems, just about a 18 months ago. My left knee was so bad I walked without bending it. The bone doctor ruled out a tear in the meniscus ( a previous problem with my right knee) The physical therapist recommended light exercise. When I began , I could not walk around the
    I am so glad to read this..first, congrats on your success!! and second, because I hope it helps me.

Now my RIGHT knee is feeling the same pain and stiffness/weakness that my left one was...oh joy. Thank goodness we have had enough snow melt that I can try to start walking again.
  • There is a dvd available on Amazon called "strong knees" it has a group of excercises that are really helpful. It is only about $15. I really enjoy the types of routines available on the wii and the wii fit.

I was told (in sept at the beginning of my journey) that I need a total knee replacement. My knee is worn out and the exrays show that I am bone on bone. Walking seems to really hurt me and the bikes hurt as well. However, I am able to do low impact aerobic routines and the more I lose the better my knee feels.

I know that it will need to be replaced at some point but I am hoping that I will be lighter and fitter at that time for a better outcome.
  • Quote: I am so glad to read this..first, congrats on your success!! and second, because I hope it helps me.

Now my RIGHT knee is feeling the same pain and stiffness/weakness that my left one was...oh joy. Thank goodness we have had enough snow melt that I can try to start walking again.
    I wish you well. The trick for me was to start slow and build up. At one point I could not walk up or down stairs, it was really discouraging.

It was the physical therapist that gave me a clue that strengthening the muscles around the knee could help the knee itself.

Vermont is a lovely place to start walking

--g
  • Hi,
    Has anyone used a machine called NU KNEE? apparently is it some sort of $$$ item used in rehab for medical patients but I have never seen it. If anyone has please educate me. I am so trying to find a suitable piece of equipment where you do not have to stand as I have spinal stenosis which makes standing or walking difficult.
    Thanks
    Sheridan
  • oh joy!!!!!
    I've been laid off from my horrible winter season job (from April 13 to first week of May; then to my good summer/fall job)
    and my knees don't hurt anymore!!! It was a food service retail and I have to stand for 7 hours a day (no breaks). I sure haven't been sitting for these past 2 weeks but I haven't been standing/walking for 7 hours straight either.

This just reinforces that I HAVE to find a different job for this winter.
  • I have knee problems, and I like to exercise at home, so I bought an Elliptical Trainer. Best investment I ever made! I still walk on my treadmill for a warm up and cool down, and I wear an Ace Knee Brace while exercising...always. But the elliptical makes it so much easier, and it's also quieter than using the treadmill all the time. I can watch TV while I'm using it and it makes the time go faster. I started out with 4 minutes and worked my way up adding a minute or 2 each day. Now I do no less than 30 minutes. If cost is a problem, look around for a used one. Just make sure you try it out before you buy, and ask if they have the paperwork/instruction booklet with it. My biggest problem was finding one with foot pads that were in a comfortable position and big enough, with sides, so my foot wouldn't slip off. I got a Sole E25, and it's perfect for me.

Carol
  • Quote: Does anyone else's knees make noise when they do squats and walk upstairs and such? My knees have always done this - thought they don't hurt. I have no idea why they make noise. And if I put my hand on my knee while going up a step I can feel it make the noise (if that makes sense).

Jo
    Yup my knees do that too. It sounds so bad. There's no cushioning there so the bones are rubbing together making the popping noise. : (
  • Quote: I'm only 22 and have knee problems. I used to play basketball in high school and was rammed by a boy on my team (who often expressed how girls shouldn't be aloud in sports) and landed bad on both knees. I went to the doctor and he told me I had Chondromalacia which is where the cartilage goes soft from injury and causes the bones to rub together. It hurts just to go up stairs and doing anything where any weight is put on my knees while bending, they pop constantly. I kneel on the floor and sound like a fire cracker going off. Basically all this crappy doctor did was give me a piece of paper saying what I had and told me there was some exercises I could do to help it, but I guess he just assumed I find out what they were on my own (this same crappy doctor swore I was on meth when I came in about my migraines, even went so far as to do blood work on me). Anyone know some good exercises? Or was this doctor stupid and doing those exercises going to make it worse?
    I'm 22 as well and have knee problems too : ( I find doing the elliptical makes me feel better and isn't hard on the knees at all. : ) as far as exercises I try not to do anything really involving my knees such as squats, lunges, etc. Basically anything having to bending the knees. It aggervates it more. As far as strengthening it I don't really know any workouts. But all I do is just make sure to workout. : )
  • Quote: I'm 22 as well and have knee problems too : ( I find doing the elliptical makes me feel better and isn't hard on the knees at all. : ) as far as exercises I try not to do anything really involving my knees such as squats, lunges, etc. Basically anything having to bending the knees. It aggervates it more. As far as strengthening it I don't really know any workouts. But all I do is just make sure to workout. : )
    I'm 21 and have had knee problems since I was in elementary school. Went to the doctor for them and was diagnosed with Oshgoodshlaughters disease. Without getting into all the technical mumbo jumbo it basically caused a bump below my knee cap on both knees and I was in quite a bit of pain. I was told I would eventually grow out of it. Fast forward to the age of 16 when I was supposed to grow out of it and I was still have tremendous pain in my knees after activites. I'm 21 now and still have pain quite often. My knees pop all the time and swell. My doctor diagnosed me with athritis and gave me a pill, which generally helps.

I happen to be training to become a police officer and part of the training includes a 1.5 mile run so I really just have to suck it up for now.