Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #31  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Not "knowing" the answer to that, I'm guessing though, as it appears, that the ball would at least be gentler on the back with its soft curve than a hard flat wall.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

I think it is so you can control the ball, i.e. make sure you don't drop it, so maybe it improves your form, as well.
Fooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #33  
Ilene the Bean

It is easier to roll up and down the wall with the ball, than just leaning against the wall and trying to go up and down. Also, with the ball, you use a lot of your core muscles and that's very good for balance, abs, everything...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks! I've got one, so I'll give it a whirl!
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 180/128/125

Height: 5' 3 3/4"

Pretty much - forearm exercises if you need them.. but doing free weights for the major muscle groups will really work them. If a person is to isolate them then I would ask that there is a purpose to it that is beyond 'general conditioning.' The key in any exercise regimen it to know WHY you are doing certain exercises and what they will yield for you. Making your fitness program your own in this way is important.

cert pft fitmom 1
fitmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 180/128/125

Height: 5' 3 3/4"

differences with the ball or regular squats..
Wall ball squats are often better tolerated by those just starting into it, those with need to work more on form, those whose knees bother them with regular squats. The ball wall squats work the muscles a little bit differently as you are actually pushing against the wall and ball - and possibly are bearing slightly less weight than you would without the ball. The movement with the ball changes the plane of movement and the adjustment of the lever.

Regular squats are also valueable if performed correctly. The plane of movement is much more functional (how often are you pushing back when you go to sit on the sofa or toilet, or get up from them?) than the ball, though I like to do a combination of both with my personal training clients and with my classes. The muscle recruitment is different than with the ball. It requires more balance/stability.

Both exercises, however recruit multi-muscle groups including the core muscles (abs back and sides) and both are fit in the generally accepted movements of safety if performed correctly and if appropriate for the individual attempting them.

cert pft fitmom1
fitmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #37  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Elliptical trainers (my favorite ), exercise bikes (I like recumbent), and swimming are all awesome cardio exercise and there's NO impact involved.
Even the elliptical trainer hurts my knees. I've tried using that sucker (we have one at home), and I'm very lucky if I last a minute, without my knees screaming from pain.

Very interesting about the 4 pounds of pressure on the knees for one pound of body weight- that would explain why my knees have been screaming after playing tennis and bike riding on our country "dirt" roads. Swimming, however, relaxes them.

Take stock out on Ben Gay, folks, as I'll be buying it in massive quantities.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #38  
Smashing to a fit me

S/C/G: 205/202/150

Height: 5'6"

Meg, I wanted to ask, I've thought about joining a local gym, and as I have horrid knees, is there anything I should tell the trainers then if and when I start? And if you want details, I've got arthritis(age 12) and patella tendonitis(age 9) in both knees, and had mcl repair and a lateral release on my right knee.
TachsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #39  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post
Take stock out on Ben Gay, folks, as I'll be buying it in massive quantities.
Nix the Ben Gay. Head to your local Chiroquack for some Bio Freeze, or order it off the net. I threw out Ben Gay, Aspracream and all that garbage when my chiro sold me that stuff. Been ordering it online ever since.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I noticed that many of you have complained about "popping" of your knees when you go up and down stairs and the like. The major culprit to this can be a Discoid Meniscus. I have this, myself.

I have an article here about it. Most people never know they have one because in most cases the pain never hits a level of severity that merits a doctors visit.

Discoid Meniscus

Hope this helps some of you!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #41  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeneni View Post
Personally, I have problems with my ankles. I was wondering if you guys knew of exercises that would help build strong ankles instead of destroy them as well. My ankles are in pain and swollen a lot, just from being on my feet in my normal day to day. It has gotten better though because for the past month I've been working out regularly (mostly dancing, belly dancing and a bit of strength training and crunches) and I walk for 40 minutes (20 minutes twice a day) for 3 days a week. I know walking is impact which is bad for my ankles, but I can't cut it out because it's how I get to work... so I make the best of it and walk briskly. But will my ankles just continue to feel better over time? Or should I be looking into things that I can do to insure that they are strong?

Thanks in advance!
I think, as you lose weight and get fitter your ankles will improve... But in the meantime maybe you should see your doctor...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

My knees do the "crackle and grind" routine and have for years. It's better when I'm taking glucosamine/chondroitin, but it doesn't ever go away.

I think I abused my knees the other day. I was trying to teach my daughter how to jump rope and do the cross-over-arms trick. I haven't jumped rope for years, but I used to be good at it. Three days later, my knees are still killing me. I guess 200 pounds of weight slamming the knee-joint bones together wasn't the brightest thing I could have done.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #43  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Smile More info...

I've had sever patella tendonitis since I was in high school and have already been told at 24 that in the next 5-10 years I will have to get artificial knees as cartillage in my knees is pretty much non-existent... Bone on bone feels awesome... anyways I've had many different versions of PT over the last 8 years and have learned that the exercises mentioned before including ankle weights work very well. Also, lying on each side and doing side leg lifts (starting without leg weight, eventually add them) works really well. One of the leading causes of knee problems is having either your quads or hamstrings being much stronger or weaker than the other.
Stay away from pounding exercises when your knees are really sore... eliptical is good and depending on how well you handle the stationary bike that as well (hurts my knees)...
Good luck!

Last edited by KimL1214; 02-22-2008 at 10:38 PM.
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 204/204/150

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Everyone,

I just found this thread and hope I can add something useful!

I've had bad knees since I was young. I've had three surguries on my right knee, all in my teens and have been to more physical therapy doc's than I even care to count. I have torn cartlidge in both my knees, which causes the popping, cracking, binding and occasionally it just gives out completely. I've been urged to have a knee replacement on the right and arthroscopic on the left. Both I refuse to do because I'm stubborn mostly!

The exercises posted earlier are very good, I've done a number of these in therapy - but the emphasis has to be on form for these. If your knee goes over your ankle, you're likely to do much more damage. Make sure your knee stays aligned with your ankle and that your quads/hamstrings are the muscles doing all the work.

One other tip I got from a sports therapist is to simply extend your leg, engage your quad muscle and hold for 10 seconds. Release the muscle and repeat this a dozen times or so. As stated earlier, keeping the quad muscles strong, keeps your knee aligned correctly.

I do not do any kind of running, lunges or excersises that cause undue impact on my knee. Swimming is absolutly the best, or water aerobics, because the resistance is not jarring.

I currently do yoga once a week and even then my knees shake while holding some of the poses. When the weather is nice, I walk 1.5 miles almost everyday around a lake with a friend. Walking is also low impact for the knees, have good walking shoes!
AngieH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 151/152/128

Height: 5'6

So happy I found this thread! I'm only 27 and I don't remember injuring my knee before, but my left knee always gives me trouble when I run. I really like running and would like to continue, but I don't want to injur myself long term.
makeyourownplans is offline   Reply With Quote