3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Set Point ... starting line (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/108281-set-point-starting-line.html)

srmb60 03-27-2007 11:12 AM

Set Point ... starting line

Ya know how we say "eat less and move more" which sends everyone into a tizzy of knowing just what is less? what is more?

I was flipping through a book of Bob Green's in the library yesterday and found something he'd said to be very enlightening.

As far as increasing Oprah's activity, he had to find her set point. Set point. Think about that ...
She did two shows a day, a bunch of other stuff and could walk a mile in 18 minutes.
That was her set point. All that accounted for nothing. It was her base-line and was keeping her at her current weight.
In order for her to do more ... he simple asked her to jog instead of walk.
It was more.
Nothing fancy, just more.

If that wasn't clear enough, here's my example. I used to think "Active? Do folks realise how busy nurses are? Nurses with children at home and houses to keep? I don't need extra activity, I'm plenty active already."
Nope, that was my set point ... my baseline ... from where I had to 'do more'.

Does anyone else find this notion enlightening? noteworthy? thought provoking?

alinnell 03-27-2007 12:10 PM

Wow, that is enlightening. Something I need to look into more and figure out what is "more" for me. Thanks!

RidiculouslyAddicted 03-27-2007 12:28 PM

I think this is very interesting, and I guess I've always agreed with it on some level. That's why I don't count my walk to and from work every day into my exercise. Because it's just part of my day, and has been long before I started this weight-loss journey. It makes sense.

detroitmami 03-27-2007 10:47 PM

Agreed. Definently something to think about.

2frustrated 03-28-2007 04:04 AM

Oooooh Susan you're so right :p

How much more can a girl do though? :tantrum: :lol:

EleanorR 03-28-2007 05:56 AM

It's definitely thought provoking but I've not got any time to fit any more into.

I walk now instead of getting the bus but so far that doesn't seem to be enough. I work afternoons and spend the mornings dashing around trying to cram everything else into my day. By the evening I'm worn out. Not sure how much more I can do.

Regarding my walk to work I certainly can't do an "Oprah" and jog. I work on a reception and I like to arrive there looking reasonable :lol:

srmb60 03-28-2007 08:23 AM

Oh dear, the sweaty reception lady!
My friend started taking a little longer route to work. That might make a bit of difference.

Ilene 03-28-2007 08:37 AM

I feel that "set points" are "plateaus" ... Once you reach one set point you have to change up your routine, workout, or eating plan ... Years ago my "set point" was doing my stationary bike for a half hour/day, when I stopped losing weight I started weight training. Now when I reach a set point/plateau I intensify my workouts by doing hills,lifting heavier or doing anything that's different that my normal routine...

srmb60 03-28-2007 08:43 AM

That's what my friend found ... so she just started looking for a little longer way to work. I believe she now walks on weekends too.

ArtsyGirl 03-28-2007 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene (Post 1629600)
I feel that "set points" are "plateaus" ... Once you reach one set point you have to change up your routine, workout, or eating plan ... Years ago my "set point" was doing my stationary bike for a half hour/day, when I stopped losing weight I started weight training. Now when I reach a set point/plateau I intensify my workouts by doing hills,lifting heavier or doing anything that's different that my normal routine...

That was my response too. After a certain time at a "set point" your body does adjust and expect whatever level you've been doing. When does this end though. What happens when your set point is expects the 1 1/2 hours of exercise added in? At some point you really cannot do more. That is a scary thought.

srmb60 03-28-2007 08:55 AM

Well I think there's the intensity thing .... building muscle for calorie consumption thing .... maintainence ....

Ilene 03-28-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtsyGirl (Post 1629625)
That was my response too. After a certain time at a "set point" your body does adjust and expect whatever level you've been doing. When does this end though. What happens when your set point is expects the 1 1/2 hours of exercise added in? At some point you really cannot do more. That is a scary thought.

It is a scary thought and it isn't. After 22+ years of working out, as Susan said, you have to work with the intensity and the variety of your workouts. Variety, intensity and playing with calories are really key, that's what I do and it works...

Diva 03-28-2007 09:44 AM

My question is this; once you've lost all your weight and are just trying to maintain, wouldn't a set point be ok? If it's working for you, and you aren't gaining weight(fat), it seems to be that at a certain point in your life, a set point would be perfectly fine. I could be wrong though, the last time I "maintained" I was in my early 20's, LOL! ;)

srmb60 03-28-2007 10:56 AM

I think the trick then would be to have enough variety to keep it interesting. Today I enjoyed my combination walk/jog but one day next week ... I probably won't.

This would be a good time to reference Ann Fletcher's Thin for Life and some of the stickies in the Maintainer's forum.

sportmom 03-28-2007 11:39 AM

It does make sense and reminds me of the "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."

On the scary thought, I think that's where weight lifting is so awesome. It's the only way to rachet back uP your metabolism so that you don't have to keep doing more (cardio) and eating less. I think it's soley responsible for my shape to keep changing even though my weigh hasn't and I quit the working out when I was injured and sick; the w/l I had done before kept my motor humming even tho I was doing nothing, and my body kept changing even tho I was doing nothing. It's like the propellar that keeps turning long after the engine has been shut off.