Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #16  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
this again gets into the question of goals and intensity

If you are trying to lose weight and be healthy then daily cardio is fine, however not all 7 days should be the same exercise (with the exception of walking) and there should be at least 1-2 days where the intensity is more relaxed i.e. walk instead of run. Most of your workouts should be in your comfort zone (not increasing pace or distance ). If you have been doing the elliptical 5 days a week for 45-50 minutes for 6 months its not as big a deal to your body as if you are trying to move from 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Know what your "base" cardio level is and only exceed that a couple times a week and go below it at least 1 day a week.

If you are training for something then rest is very important and should be built into your program. You spend more of your cardio time at higher levels or pushing the edge of your comfort zone. Without adequate rest you will not recover enough between workouts to train at the appropriate level the next time. Active rest (x training) is ok, but should be done at a lower intensity than your main sport.

In all situations if you plan on working out 6-7 days a week, it is a good habit to regularly monitor your resting HR (before you get out of bed is best). Any INCREASE in resting HR is a clear sign of over training. Also if you have several workouts in a row where you just dont feel up to par, it is time for a break. THis link is for a list of symptoms of overtraining: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/o.../aa062499a.htm
Very interesting information; thank you ennay. The resting HR thing is something I've never heard before. Also, what is this active rest/x training? Is that just doing something different?

Basically, I want to lose weight (obviously), but I'd also like to train for a 5K run in July, hence the C25K. I typically work out on my stationary bike at home, and while I work hard, I wouldn't say I work as hard as I COULD, KWIM?
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #17  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not sure I agree with the body knowing when you need to rest idea. I'm more with the doing different forms of exercise to give parts of the body rest if you're going to exercise every day. There are times I do go every day, but not the same things all the time. Especially running...I can't possibly do it every day. But when I started, I TRIED doing it every day. I ended up with blisters, callouses, shin splints. If my body was going to tell me when to rest, I'd have hoped it would have told me before I felt that bad and had to take several days out to heal. And sometimes we might wonder if it's really our bodies speaking or all in our head. Are we wanting to stop because we really can't go another step, another 5 minutes, or because our body really needs the rest?
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #18  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

almostheaven,
I hear what you're saying; however, I can tell when I just need a break from exercising.

To me, there's a big difference from how I feel in the morning when I just don't want to get out of bed vs. when I'm exhausted. One day I was feeling exhausted and didn't listen to my body, got up and exercised, and had a bad session, plus felt like garbage all day. The next time, I listened, slept for an extra hour, and felt a LOT better. Was able to get right back on track the next day, too.
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #19  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

I wonder in some cases if it's an actual need for a break from exercising, or if there are other factors that contribute, such as not enough sleep, or not enough protein, or dehydration. Or in almostheaven's case, bad shoes!
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #20  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Of course there are other factors that contribute. I have a pretty robust immune system most of the time. There are about 4 times a year where the entire family will be sick and my only symptom is extreme fatigue. Without the rest of the family there, I would think I am just nuts or lazy. But for SURE when they are sick and I get that mind numbing fatigue I LISTEN. When I dont, I join them.

There are MANY reasons you might need a break. Exercise is one of those things. Enough boosts everything (immunity, energy, mood, sleep) too much though and everything can go downhill and give you the opposite effect. (illness, lethargy, depression, insomnia)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #21  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted View Post
Very interesting information; thank you ennay. The resting HR thing is something I've never heard before. Also, what is this active rest/x training? Is that just doing something different?

Basically, I want to lose weight (obviously), but I'd also like to train for a 5K run in July, hence the C25K. I typically work out on my stationary bike at home, and while I work hard, I wouldn't say I work as hard as I COULD, KWIM?
Active rest means doing something but at a much lower intensity and that doesnt tax the same muscles. So I might not go running or to the gym, but I might take my kids to the park or to the beach and play or go for a gentle hike. It means staying moving, but not EXERCISING. Staying at a level you wouldnt consider exercise. (playing a round of golf maybe)

Cross training is trying to boost cardio while doing a different activity to target different muscles. I cycle, even though I hate it and am incapable at doing it at a high intensity, because it works complementary muscles in the leg that dont get enough work running which stabilizes my knees and helps me run better. I swim because I can get a kick butt cardio workout with virtually no skeletal stress. And sexy arms.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #22  
Ilene the Bean

I've read that it's not a bad thing to take a week break after 12 or so weeks of continous workouts. I don't do that but every few months I feel super lazy, like this week, and I just don't feel like working out, so I workout less and with less intensity, but I still workout...

As for running I think the rule of thumb is to run every second day 3-4 times/week as to not injure yourself, give yourself a break and you should increase your mileage only by 10% per week...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:12 AM   #23  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted View Post
To me, there's a big difference from how I feel in the morning when I just don't want to get out of bed vs. when I'm exhausted. One day I was feeling exhausted and didn't listen to my body, got up and exercised, and had a bad session, plus felt like garbage all day. The next time, I listened, slept for an extra hour, and felt a LOT better. Was able to get right back on track the next day, too.
Yeah I went through this myself just a couple weeks ago. I just felt tired. And I figured it was just that it was a rainy day and I just had the blahs. Didn't wanna exercise. But I forced myself to get on the stair stepper, figuring I'd feel better once I got going. I couldn't go as long as usual. It was wearing me out much quicker. So I stopped. IMMEDIATELY after I stepped off, I got dizzy then got hit with a wave of nausea. I had that stomach virus and it hit me hard after trying to workout when my body really was tired and it wasn't just tired in my head. I couldn't tell the difference. I really just felt "tired" before exercising. Not sick or anything. So this was a case of when my body might have been telling me, but it wasn't saying anything different than what my mind tells me when I just don't feel like exercising.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #24  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

1. I've always taken weekends off. Weekdays are for work!

Breaks are great to let your body recover and to give you a mental incentive to stay on plan. Knowing that I have a break coming up is motivation enough to press on in the occasional bad week.

2. a. 5 days a week/50 minutes
b. Walk/Jog with Mondays being the "long" runs. The rest of the week I do intervals.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote