Aerobics?

• Yesterday, as I flapped my way through another aerobics class where I am the newest and fattest person there I realized something. I am enjoying myself!

What?!?

I`m more of an elliptical or walking or swimming person and I have about as much rhythm as a tap dancing monkey, but there I was doing aerobics with a huge smile on my face.

So my question is: what exercise(s) did you think you wouldn`t enjoy and now are addicted to?

Whodda thunk. Me and aerobics.
  • It seems like so many of us are figuring out that we like things we always assumed we hated (with food and with exercise). I was always the opposite -- I thought I just wanted to do aerobics because they weren't as boring as something repetitive. I wouldn't say I have the most rhythm in the world, but I could usually follow a routine, and I could have fun with it. Now I'm into running! And I love the elliptical! I never in a million years thought I would run at all, let alone enjoy it and get obsessed with it. I love the meditative state you can get in when your body adjusts to the run. I can't get that with aerobics classes. I'm trying a step aerobics class tonight, though, and I think it'll be fun!
  • I remember that feeling when I was running
    but that was like another life time ago. I am so jealous of my younger self.
    I went and did Aikido , I was / am very big . So here I am in my white aikido pj's being flung around and I loved it.
  • Reporting back after trying the step aerobics class...

It was fun! It was nothing close to the workout I get with running, however, so I had to kind of jump around and use my arms a lot to get my heart rate up. Amazing how my cardio endurance has improved from running.

The instructor looked wary about my ability to do the class when I said I hadn't done step in many years, but I proved her wrong. She had lots of crazy dance-y combos I could've done without, but I got them. Woohoo! I'll go back and do it again as an easy, rest-day-from-running kind of cardio -- something different to keep things exciting. Oh, and I'll definitely raise my step height! I was afraid to this time because I was new to it, but again...running makes you so much fitter. I'm not superfit by any means, but I can see a world of difference between myself now and myself before running.
  • Lisa - I'm so glad you liked the step class.....I love step!! It's the only aerobics class that I have ever enjoyed and I've been doing step off and on for over 10 years. I do find, though, that the instructor makes all the difference. My favourite instructor does less dance moves and more intense cardio. I find my heartrate is actually higher with the step class than running, but everyone is different.

And if you liked it this time, it only gets better!

Enjoy....
  • Elisa, Step aerobics is the only aerobics I've ever liked too! I started back in the early 90's, but stopped for years after I had my son and proceeded to get fat, LOL! But I am back at it now and I absolutely LOVE it. I don't go to a club or GYM right now because I live in the boonies, so I have lots of DVD's, but most of the time I put on some 80's and 90's dance music and just go at it.

I'm a little envious of al you runners though. Y'all make it sound so cool. I am heavy chested and have asthma and could never really run. How did you all start it? Did you start off walking and then walking/running combo and work your way up to full fledged running?
  • Check the C25K thread (in this folder) for one beginners running program and suport, Diva. Also, a good bra will help a lot with the other kind of support.
  • Thanks!
  • Diva, you can also check the Cool Runners thread -- it's a pretty active thread and many of us are new runners. I started with my own version of the C25K program, and when I started I weighed about 250 and I was wearing a DD size bra (now I just have one D). I just strap the girls down with a sports bra over a regular bra and that seems to work. As for the asthma, I'm not sure -- you might talk to your doctor about whether running would be good for that.

I never thought I would love running, or even like it... but it really is wonderful for me. I'll never be fast, but that's ok.
  • I so want to start running again, would you like to have a buddy just to get started ? I have been putting it off as it seems so hard at this weight. But I know that it's just a matter of getting started and perservering and before you know it, you will be able to run for a short time and be able to keep improving.
    Let me know if you would like to do this Diva.