Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #1  
Goodbye Fat!

Default Exercising while Pregnant???

Okay ladies I need some advice. I just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant. I started the couch to 5k program back in October and have been running for 3 miles regularly 4x a week for about a month and then I find out I am pregnant. My question is...Can I continue this and how much is too much?
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Wow congratualtions!

My gut feeling is moderate exercise is way good for pregnancy and as long as it feels ok you should continue. Talk to your obgyn or midwife about it because some pregnancies require more rest than others.

Congrats!!
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #3  
No description available.

ACOG recommends keeping your heart rate at 140 or less.
If you are at high risk due to previa, preterm labor, hyptertension, or multiples (all of which would be diagnosed later), then you may need to change your regimen.
Focus on hydration.
Avoid exercises flat on your back after 28 weeks.
Listen to your body. What you can do know and what you can do later may change.
There has never been a demonstrated link between exercise and miscarriage.

Good luck to you, congrats, and touch base with your pregnancy care provider.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Get the book "exercising through your pregnancy" by James Clapp - it is the most comprehensive book I have seen.

140 is considered a somewhat outdated guideline depending on your pre pregancy exercise habits.

I ran throughout my pregnancy (~34 weeks I stopped). Hydrate more, and listen to your body more. Where as before there may be days that you go "oh I feel tired, just push through" now you might want to say "oh I feel tired, lets take it easier". If you finish a 3 mile run and have to nap for the rest of the day, then it is time to ease up. When summer comes go early or late, do not run in the heat of the day, you dont cool as effectively.

Do not underestimate the 1st trimester, in many ways because of blood volume it is the HARDEST trimester to work out in. Simply climbing a flight of stairs may boost your HR to 120.

Make sure you can always talk while exercising - that is a better indicator than HR as to if you are working too hard.

If you have any cramping or spotting, dont run again until you see your OB.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Just want to poke my nose in and say congrats!

And also... My friend from kickboxing was kickboxing and took 2 high level belt tests (purple and blue) whilst preggers. I think she stopped round about 7 months though.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I just did get home from the bookstore where I skimmed a book about exercising while pregnant. I am considering getting pregnant and I wanted to make sure I could continue running. This book said it was fine if you were running before pregnancy and did not push yourself too hard or get overheated. As always, check with your doctor. And according to the book, moms-to-be who exercise and are fit have shorter deliveries, less complications, and quicker recoveries. That's motivation to keep up your exercise habits!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #7  

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant. I had the best intentions on running while pregnant, but I was so sick (and desparately tired) during my first trimester that it honestly wasn't possible. Most doctors encourage exercise if you have a program already in place. I did the Couch to 5k about a year ago, and I don't know if that's something that I would want to go through while pregnant. But, I'd say that if it feels okay, your heartrate doesn't get too high, and you have your doctor's approval, than go for it!! Good luck for healthy and happy 9 months!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I ran up through my 4th month then joined Curves instead. I just had a large pregnancy and he was pushing on my bladder so horribly, I felt like I was juggling a bowling ball while running, so I quit because it was too difficult for me. Others run until nearly giving birth. It's different for everyone. Like has been said, just pay attention to how it feels and check with your doctor.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #9  
Goodbye Fat!

Thanks for all the great advice ladies
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote