Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #1  
Paula

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5' 7"

Default Time of Exercise

I was wondering if your body burns more calories at different times of the day? Is it more efficent to work out at night before going to bed or getting up early to go for a run? Or does it not matter, as long as you get out there!
Curlie girl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:01 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is some evidence that working out in the morning revs your metabolism so you burn more calories all day, and that benefit is somewhat minimized by working out in the evening before bed.

HOWEVER, the best time for exercise is the time you'll actually do it. After all, if you'll -actually- work out 5 times a week in the evening, but can only drag yourself out of bed for a run 3 times, you'll burn WAY more calories by exercising in the evening. Or if you can only run in the morning twice a week, but can also do three times in the evening. Truthfully, it doesn't matter much...the minor caloric burn benefit of morning workouts doesn't make all that much difference.

I am personally an evening exerciser...right when I get off from work. It works for me.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlie girl48 View Post
I was wondering if your body burns more calories at different times of the day? Is it more efficent to work out at night before going to bed or getting up early to go for a run? Or does it not matter, as long as you get out there!
From what I've always heard/read, it makes no difference.

There are some who say that exercising in the morning potentially provides the most benefit overall, because it increases your metabolic rate for several hours afterward. The experts seem divided on whether this has enough impact to make any meaningful difference, though.
lilith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #4  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

I agree - whenever you can make yourself do it is when it works best. And whenever you seem to have the most energy to put into it.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

JUST DO IT

for me exercise in the evening gives me BAD insomnia
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree, whenever you can do it is the best time to exercise. I have a very flexible schedule, which also means that my schedules changes a lot from day to day. So I end up working out at all different times, sometimes 5 AM, sometimes noon, sometimes 8 or 9 PM. My prefered time is probably mid-afternoon.

There are other factors to consider besides just the effect on your metabolism. I've learned the hard way that if I'm going to go running on a sunny day , it's best to do it in the early morning or late afternoon/evening (otherwise I have to wear sunblock, sunglasses, and sometimes even a hat ). I try to go swimming during off-peak hours, otherwise the lanes are crowded and I'm constantly having to stop for people who are slower than me; it's just not as good a workout. Likewise, I try to go to the gym during off-peak hours so I don't have to wait for the equipment I want.

I will say that when I get up early to exercises, it does feel great to have it out of the way!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote