Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #1  

Default How Much Walking?

Hi

I've started trying to walk for at least 45 mins a day. Is that enough?

How much is the recommended daily amount? I've only just started this last week because I had plantar fasciitis for about 8 months and have only just got rid of it. I still do some stretches though before walking any distance.

Fi
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #2  

Is that enough for what? (For a marathon? No. For basic cardiovascular health? Yes.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #3  

Hi Eleanor,
I had lost 35 lbs. walking at 45 minutes (speed walking and sweating), but then I was thrown from a horse and my hips ache if I push it too much, so I'm back to begining and working up to the 45 minutes every morning.
I'm not doing very well, not motivated enough and I don't know how to get back into that frame of mind. I hear people say all the time about how great they feel??? I don't know that feeling. May I ask, how are you making yourself do get up and walk/exercise?
I know, I'll be kicking myself in another two to three months when I'm hiding under long summer skirts instead of shorts.
LisaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It really depends on the intensity of your walk. Are you out for a leisurely stroll or are you pumping pretty quickly and breaking a sweat or are you somewhere in between? DH and I have a 4.3 mile route that takes us about 1 1/2 hours when we do it together. He doesn't go so fast, he doesn't mind letting the dogs slow down and sniff, he likes to say hi to people we meet. If I do it alone with the dogs, I can get finished in about an hour--and it is a pretty hilly trek. I feel it l lot more when I do it alone, too, so I'm sure I'm getting more of a benefit that way. We did a 5k a few weeks ago and did it in 48 minutes (3.1 miles). I think we kind of slowed down after mile 2, otherwise we may have been able to finish in about 40 minutes.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #5  

Answering the questions above:

I am walking with an aim to get fitter and in doing so to lose the weight.

The way I'm motivating myself is purely that my workplace is a good 30-35 mins away from where I live, so instead of getting the bus I am walking, plus most days doing some shopping too in the town first, so the overall walk is often about 45 mins or maybe more.

I'm walking at a reasonable pace but not power walking or going too quickly. I'm definitely not doing a leisurely stroll. I'm breaking into a sweat after about 15 mins or so but I find my breathing is quickly settled once I stop, so I think I must be doing reasonably well. The first time I did it it took me longer to recover my composure than it does now, so something's working
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #6  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi! This article may help you:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitness...ceivedexer.htm
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote