Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 07:20 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Ab Support Group

I am a pretty good exerciser. I usually work out 4 to 6 times a week. But I never do ab exercises! Why? Because they are hard, they hurt, I don't know - my abs are my weakest muscle. It is a catch 22 - if I exercised them they'd get stronger and I wouldn't hate doing ab exercises so much - maybe.

Would any of you like to join me in doing ab exercises on a regular basis? I know from past experience that a little company helps. We could exchange what works for us, log our daily ab workouts, etc.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:49 PM   #2  

Hi Ledom,
I remember you from the Prevention thread! How are you? I would love to join your ab workout thread. That is also my weakest area and I also hate doing them. Do you have any ideas on the routine we should use or the exercises? I'll check in my Self magazine. I think there were some good exercises in one of the issues. I hope others will join us! I'll check back later to see what's going on. I have a routine that I used to do at the end of my Jane Fonda step aerobics tape that was awesome and just 10 minutes but I could never seem to stick with it. Maybe this will help.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:42 AM   #3  
Chick

Angry Hi Rose,

I remember you too! How are you?

I am so glad you decided to join me. I have been toying with some ideas that I think will work for me - I know my exercise strengths and weaknesses very well. I want to start slow and build, if it seems too hard at the beginning I'll be frustrated. I have 2 ab workouts that I like. One involves a bench, even the edge of a bed will work. You lay with your hips just to the edge, then pull you knees in to your chest. Then I do those waist twists where you hold a broomstick over your shoulders, keep your hips facing forward and twist, and then finally lay on the floor, cross your arms on your chest, lift your head shoulder and chest. With your knees bent you lift and lower your butt.

Then my other routine is just crunches, different kinds, just whatever I can think of.

I tend to like to start with just a few reps and gradually add. It make me feel like I am making progress.

I do my regular workouts in the morning, but I think I'll do my abs at night.

I look forward to reporting that I have actually gotten started tomorrow. Have a great weekend.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:58 PM   #4  

Good Morning Ledom!

I hope others decide to join us! Your routines sound great. I'm going to try the broom one tonight. I actually got up this morning and did my Jane Fonda routine and boy do my abs feel it this morning already! I'm so glad you decided to start this thread because this is my worst area and needs allot of help. I'll check back a little later today and see what's going on.!

Come on everyone join us! The more support the better!
Old 11-05-2001, 01:12 PM   #5  
Chick

Default Hi rose,

Yeah, I hope more people join in too.

Sat. night I did crunches before bed. 10 regular, 10 reverse, 10 combo, 5 to the left and 5 to the right. I'd like to work up to 25 each. I plan to do a repeat of that tonight.

Sunday I kayaked all day - about 5 hours anyway. When you use good paddling technique that is also a good ab workout, I tried to be concious of using my torso to paddle at least half the time.

I have heard different theories about how often to work your abs. Some say every day and some say every other day. Do you have an opinion on that?
Old 11-06-2001, 12:23 PM   #6  

Hi Ledom,
It looks like you and me so far! Maybe others will pick up the challenge in a little while.

I did the broomstick workout last night and boy do I feel it this morning! I love that feeling when you know you worked your muscles. I'm a strong believer in working abs every day but different areas of the abs. Like obliques one day then upper abs and lower abs or combinations of the exercises so that I don't get bored. What do you think? I plan on doing some ab work every day. I'm a little afraid though, that it will cause my stomach to look bigger with all the fat that's covering my abs ! I think I'm going to start doing more cardio. What do you do for cardio and how often do you do cardio? I guess the only way to see the muscles is to burn the fat right? Okay I'll check back later. Keep crunching!
Old 11-06-2001, 02:32 PM   #7  
Chick

Default rose,

I did my crunch routine last night. I will try my more detailed exercises tonight. It requires that I walk downstairs to the basement where my weight bench is which is a big step being a couch potato at night.

Well, I try to workout in the morning. I have The Firm Tough Tape which is my all time favorite Firm Tape. I do the first 1/2 one day and jog a mile, then I do the second 1/2 the next day and jog a mile. On weekends I hike or kayak. I have really noticed a difference lately because of two things. I have increased the weights I use during the tape, and jogging.

I usually don't exercise on Mondays, but yesterday I did abs so I wasn't a total slacker.

I am of the opinion that abs every day is ok, especially like you say, if you different ones on alternate days.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:58 PM   #8  

Hi Ledom,
I did my lower abs last night. My obliques were still tender so I thought I'd work the lower abs which needs the most work anyway. I read in one of my fitness magazines that the bicycle ab exercise is rated the number one for abs. Well I know it sure works my lower abs! I'm starting to feel so much better since we started this. I hope it works. I actually did some cardio last night on my Orbitrek and boy I am so out of shape. Just another reason to keep going. I'll check back a little later. I hope you have a great day.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:29 AM   #9  
Chick

Default Hey Rose,

I did abs two times this past week. A bit lower than my expectations, but that is still 2 times more that usual!

Goal for next week is to do better.

I did have a good exercise week though. I got up at 5 everyday since Tuesday and did my workout. I also worked out last weekend so that is good.

I am so glad we are doing this. It makes me accountable for my abs.

I am going to try the "bicycle" I remember that exercise from my teenage years and I have not done it in years. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-09-2001, 03:37 PM   #10  

Hi Ledom,
I actually didn't do my ab workout yesterday and felt so guilty about it that I did it this morning first thing! This is really working. The bicycle is such a good exercise. I sure felt it the next day. Some times the old fashioned exercises work the best! This is a long weekend for me because of Veterans Day so I hope to continue my exercise trend. I'll try to post over this weekend to keep my motivation going. I agree this what a great idea. Thanks Ledom!
Old 11-12-2001, 10:09 AM   #11  
Chick

Default Goodmorning Rose,

I did abs the last 2 days. It is starting to feel like a part of my routine. It does make me feel stronger all over to have a strong core. I haven't really noticed my waist shrinking, but I hope to in the future. Of all the places I want to shrink, that is where I could use it most.

I saw articles on the bicycle in 2 magazines this week. It must be the hot new ab exercise. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

Are the any lurkers who would like to join in with some inspirational comments? We would love to have you.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:36 PM   #12  

Hi Ledom,
Sorry I didn't post yesterday but the weekend got away from me! I've been able to do my abs the whole weekend and I sure can feel my obliques today. I haven't noticed any change either but it's still a little early for me. I'm sure the more we do the more we'll see. Yes I agree the bicycle must be the newest ab exercise. Who would have thought?

I'm with Ledom, I hope you others out there will join us here. That would be great!
Old 11-14-2001, 09:41 AM   #13  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Rose and Ledom~~~
I just found this thread and would love to join you. Abs have been a weakness of mine, both in their strength and in doing the exercises.
Alittle bit about me. I have been doing Body for Life for the past 6 months and love it! I just started my 3rd 12 week challenge.
I exercise 6 days a week, alternating with weight lifting and cardio, taking a "free day" once a week. My days are like this:
Fri~Upper body work-out (WO)
Sat~cardio
Sun~free day
Mon~Lower body WO
Tues~cardio
Wed~Upper body WO
Thurs~cardio
Fri~Lower body WO and so on.

This works great for me because my upper muscles have time to recoup before I work them again.

For cardio I alternate using the stationary recumbant bike and the elliptical. The elliptical is my favorite. I use that at the gym and the bike at home. My sessions consist of 12-15 minutes: 4 min at a 50% pace to warm-up. Then you alternate with 20 seconds at a sprint (as FAST as you can), then slow down for 10 seconds, 20 sec at sprint, 10 sec slow, etc. The last 4 min are at the 50% pace again to cool down. You won't believe it but you get a great workout in such a short period of time.

Abs are some thing that I was never consistant in doing and I really want to make a difference this challenge. I would like to do them every day but will be happy if it's every other day. I plan on doing the "edge of bench" crunches, the broom thing, the bicycle , and the combo-crunch using my Weider Ab Shaper (bringing my chest and legs up).

This will be a great place to be accountable and give/get support
Today is my lower body WO which I will do this morning, so I will do my abs tonight.
~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 11-15-2001 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:10 PM   #14  
GARDENING ADDICT

Just checking in to be accountable
Today I did 3 X 15 of bench-edge knee lifts, 3 X 15 of broom-twists, and 3 X 15 of the bicycle. before bed I will do 3 X 15 of the combo-crunches.
It feels great to have done them
~~~Sil
Old 11-14-2001, 07:59 PM   #15  
Chick

Smile Welcome Sil,

I can tell you are going to keep me on my toes. Sounds like you are doing great with your exercise. I only know a little about Body for Life. Some of the things I have picked up make me interested to know more about the philosophy of the diet.

I had a late night last night and a busy day today so I didn't get my morning workout in. I will do abs before I go to bed so it won't be a total loss of a day as far as exercise goes.

I am happy with my exercise routine these days. The video I do also splits upper and lower body into two different days. I have been getting 5 to 6 days in and really just taking the days off on days that my schedule gets too insane.

This thread is really helping me to keep abs in focus. Thanks for joining in!
Closed Thread