Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/153.1/120

Height: 4' 10 1/2"

Default Walking with Plantar fasciitis Heel spur

I developed plantar fasciitis a couple of years ago walking on my treadmill. I would like to walk again, but an concerned about this condition popping up again. Anybody with this problem and how to overcome it?
FatStorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #2  

Default Plantar Fasciitis

There are some great exercises that you can do for this. I recommend seeing a podiatrist or your primary for a physical therapy referral after confirming that is the problem.
justmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Make sure you stretch well before you walk, and you might want to ice afterwards just in case. Be sure and wear good fitting, supportive shoes. I overcame my PF by using orthotics and losing weight. I no longer use the orthotics.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

I've had PF too, and I agree with Sheila - good shoes are the key! The stretching/icing helps too. Good luck.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

My GF has PF and does stretches before and after walking, wears orthotics and had ultrasound therapy when she first went to see her chiropodist...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/153.1/120

Height: 4' 10 1/2"

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I have orthotics and I believe good shoes. I guess I need to put my fear away and just walk.

Thanks Again
FatStorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #7  

I had PF last summer and was in agony, could hardly walk anywhere. It really got me down and I honestly thought I'd never be able to walk distances again. I was advised to lose weight and just couldn't shift it because I couldn't exercise.

In the end though after spending a fortune on different footwear I went to see a consultant and then a physiotherapist who gave me stretching exercises to do and advised me on heel padding in my shoes. The stretches helped loads and I still do them now regularly.

It has now gone and I am still in shock that it has actually gone! So now this last week I started walking again properly for the first time since last June. Am now walking to work, a 30 min walk and no pain.

It's a nasty painful condition though and I hope it soon starts to go for you.
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote