Worst excuses not to exercise. Wait 'til you see mine!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hold onto your dumbbells ladies and gentlemen...my reason to almost skip the gym this morning?

A zit.

Yep. A zit. Ridiculous.

I have a hard time at the gym. My negative self-talk is soooo unhealthy. "Look at her. She looks awesome. I shouldn't be here. I don't belong here. I'm so fat." You know the routine...

Anyway, I always make sure I do a little makeup and have my hair at least looking decent when I go. That way I at least feel a nominal amount of confidence when I walk in the door. Then I woke up to a huge zit on my cheek and nearly had a breakdown. I almost talked myself out of going to the gym because now I couldn't even feel like my face was pretty-ish.

I got over it and went but I swear...I felt like everyone there was staring at my facial volcano.

So, what's your worst excuse to get out of exercising?

Monica
  • Oh, let's see....it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too icy, it's too windy, it's too sunny, it's too cloudy, it'll be dark in a few hours, I have to make supper, I have laundry to do, I have house to clean, I have to groom the dogs ( I show dogs), I have to send my sister an e-mail, I have to take a nap, I have to get groceries, is that enough. I am the queen of excuses. Especially in the winter, because I hate they gym. I really like to do stuff outside, but not in.
  • I bet I take the cake on excuses. No pun intended
    "Working out will just give me muscle that I wont even be able to see under my fat and... the number on the scale will go up because muscle weighs more than fat"

Horrible, I know.

I probably win
  • I've made all the regular excuses and shouldn't have been surprised when I spent a couple days with my daughter. She's been trying to follow my lead and start exercising. I bought her a set of WATP videos and she says she does them. So while I'm there, she claimed boredom so I tried to get her to do a video with me. She said "It's too late". The next morning, I decided to do the video. This time she said "It's too early".
  • I have you all beat.

"I will start exercising when American Idol doesn't take up so much of my time."

Yep, you heard me.

I said that last year about this time. it is on three days a week, which means three days in a row of no exercising, and since consistency is key, well there is just no point if you arent going to do it regularly. Ha! Nevermind that i still watch it and get my work outs done in the afternoons, many many hours before Idol is on.

Another one i like to use is "i can't do it when i am this tired. I am likely to hurt myself, and then get burnt out." Yeah ok. And a nap and some cookies is a much better solution.
  • I jump on my stair stepper when AI is on. Especially in the beginning of the season. I'm laughing too hard to realize I'm exercising at that point.
  • ALL your excuses are cracking me up!!

My reasons are pretty boring, too tired and housework or maybe hungover
  • "All the machines will be taken and the gym will be too packed! Might as well go another time." haha
  • I had a good note for PE at school once.

"Jenny can't do PE today since she stood on a nail last night"

Strangely it was TRUE and this was around the time I skived a LOT of PE!

Just HOW do you stand on a NAIL so that it goes right into your heel. *shudder*
  • I am glad I am not the only one with dumb excuses. Next week I start a new schedule at work 8:30am start, now I really have no excuse NOT to go out and run every morning. I just hope I can make myself get out of bed to do it. I am so dissapointed in me.
  • It's too cold or windy to get the baby out, I don’t' have anything to wear, I'm too tired, I'll do it tomorrow, I'll cook dinner first, I already took my shoes off, it's too dark, I'll do it later tonight.
    Maybe the question should be more like how many excuses do you make in a day.
    The bad part is when I do want to exercise I'm at work and can't do it. Maybe there's a reason behind that.
  • here's a new one.....the music will be too loud and the cats will wake up and bother me, I might step on a tail again, then there will be hair on the rug and I'll have to take out the vaccuum.

it's too dark, i'm too sleepy, I could finish the ironing, wash, change the sheets, go grocery shopping instead...then I'd be ahead for the weekend to leave more time for exercise....which I don't want to do because it's the weekend and I don't have time to exercise before I go out to dinner/movies, I need to have my nails done!
  • Quote: I had a good note for PE at school once.

"Jenny can't do PE today since she stood on a nail last night"

Strangely it was TRUE and this was around the time I skived a LOT of PE!

Just HOW do you stand on a NAIL so that it goes right into your heel. *shudder*
    No joke. When my grandparents were moving many years ago, all the furniture had been removed from my aunt's room. Some of the plaster was missing from a wall that had been hidden behind furniture. My aunt, cousin and I were all doing handstands and cartwheels in the room while the adults moved furniture. My cousin's foot came down right to that missing plaster area, where a large nail protruded from the wall. Went clear through the bottom of her foot and out the top. Ouch.
  • eeeehhhhh heaven my toes just curled
  • Oh, and I thought I'd be the only one to say 'the carpeting is too (dog) hairy!'

how about "because my husband just cooked some stinky scrapple for breakfast and it's nauseating me"