New to exercising ...some advice on using a 'glider/strider'

• Hi there!

Just come across this website and, wow, found loads of helpful information!

I've just embarked on a new healthy eating plan and for the past four weeks I've been using a glider/strider for exercise. I do 10 minute bursts for 2 or 3 times a day, in combination with the beginners 20 minute session of Joel Harpers workout (the freebie one on the Oprah website). I'm trying to do about 30 to 50 minutes exercise a day. I need to lose approx. 90 pounds.

I would like to ask some of you fitness experts if the glider is a good piece of equipment to exercise with?

I find it useful as I have bad knees and it is low impact...but I concerned that it isn't really pushing me far enough, and really I should be on a treadmill or ellipitical machine.

many thanks

emma
  • I have used my gazelle for a year now. i now havr to lok into a readmill but I did well with it to start with. Everyone is different . I started with about 30 mins then moved to 1 hour now I have added free weights and some calestectics. I do walking and interval training currently on my gazelle but now that I am at the end of my weight loss it is harder to take off.
  • The best exercise is really the exercise you will do and can do. Depending on your fitness level, a glider type machine might be exactly what you need. My mom does a glider for an hour every day. She lost some weight initially but hasn't lost any more weight but uses the glider to maintain her weight loss and keep herself a bit active on a daily basis.

If you get to a higher fitness level, you may find yourself needing to challenge yourself a bit more with different exercises. I would also suggest look into supplementing your workout with weights if you aren't already. (Not weights while on the glider but a seperate weight workout).
  • Thanks for the advice guys! Yep you're right...to do what exercise I can do...(and moderately enjoy).

The glider seems good if I go quick on it...but do think in not many months i'll have to upgrade to a proper ellipitical machine as the glider has no resistence. But at the moment the glider and the 20 minute Oprah basic workout seems to be puffing me out (so unfit!!)