24 Hour Fitness Yoga?

• I've been wanting to take the yoga class at the gym but I'm nervous. I'm a beginner to yoga but fairly flexible. I'm just wondering what this class is like and if it's beginner friendly. Also, what's appropriate clothing?

Thanks!
  • I work at a 24 hour fitness (in the daycare) I also exercise there and have taken a few of the classes. The classes are all beginner friendly because most instructors will give modified versions of exercises and positions for different fitness levels. My favorite classes are yoga and pilates but hip hop and step classes are really popular as well. The instructor can make or break a class but most are wonderful so I'm sure you will be fine! As for clothing, wear whatever you are comfortable in, I usually wear fitted spandex capri type pants and a tank top or shirt, everyone has their personal preferences it's not a fashion contest just make sure you can move around well in whatever you wear! Good luck and have fun!
  • Very Important!
    It is critical to have a certified instructor that knows what they are doing in yoga, especially for beginners. They should walk around, correct you gently and encourage you.

It's very easy to pick up bad yoga habits and possibly work out too hard and in the wrong ways, which can have detrimental effect. I strongly encourage you to find out the credentials of the instructor, which is why I am suspicious of gyms that present yoga programs.

Yoga is really best begun at a place that specializes in yoga. Once you catch on the basics, no reason you can't continue in a place that isn't quite as dedicated to it because your good habits will have already been ingrained.