Feeling results but scales says 'nuh'

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Heya,

I have been exercising pretty much daily for a week and a half. I feel the results. Heck, I can see the results. Just today I wore a pair of jeans I could not squeeze into a few weeks ago. However this morning when I stepped on the scale, it still said 59kgs which is kind of depressing after all the work I have put in.

But I am more confused though...why is it that the scale is telling me 'nuh' when I know I have lost weight?

shockingp
  • scale frustration
    One time when I started WW I tracked everything I put in my mouth and I excercised at the Y four or five times a week faithfully and I did not lose a lb or stone (is that the same roughly--sorry I've forgotten the equivalent). They told me repeatedly not to worry about it because exercising will sometimes do that; you are replacing fat with muscle which weighs more. So you feel thinner and look thinner despite the scale. Eventually after 3 weeks I started losing in small increments and I got to goal. But my problem is that I have regained it and then some, so I am back trying again for the 40th time. You will lose weight though. The exercise is vital. I think more important to get in the habit of good exercise than being "perfect" on the eating thing. That will come too. Don't give up.
  • shockingpurple -- Lucky you, you're feeling the results, and I truly think that's more important than seeing a number on the scale because you can actually FEEL the difference in your shape, clothes, etc... be happy and run with it... It's only been a week and half since your new lifestyle, be patient, eventually, if you are doing everything right, the scale numbers will catch up... Check out the Fat vs. Muscle pic in my siggie, you'll see that muscles are much smaller than fat so if you are losing some fat and gaining muscles, that's the reason for the scale's lack of movement...

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress ....
  • another approach
    Some women weigh themselves once a day and some once a week. I don't even weigh myself once a month. I look to see how clothes are fitting and how I feel. I wouldn't care if the scale said I weighed 200 if I wore a size 8!

Maybe you should scrap the scale and concentrate on the good stuff? Then one day you'll get on the scale and find it's much lower than you thought. It's a different sort of approach - but you never know!
  • remember that you are looking to see a FAT loss, but the scale measures all of you: fat, muscle, bone, water, skin, etc.

So, if you lost a pound of fat but are retaining a pound of water, the scale will say 'nuh' because it's just doing it's silly little job. Similarly, if you lost a pound of fat but gained a pound of muscle, it's just going to give the same number, and you are none the wiser.

So, do pay attention to those other tools of measurement -- like the jeans -- and celebrate!!!!!
  • the scale has been so discouraging to me that i only sort of half heartedly weigh in once every two weeks or so. But- I do take my measurements regularly. I am starting to chart them in fitday on a monthly basis too. I find that seeing an inch come off my hips is a MUCH better feeling than seeing three pounds come off the scale. Much more tangible.
  • I can so relate to this thread.

I've been exercising (walking) for a fortnight for a minimum of 30 mins a day and have only lost just over a pound.

Having said that my hips are definitely thinner and they feel less heavy and more comfortable when I walk.

But I want to start seeing some proper weight loss..
  • Eleanor -- I completely understand what you mean, but if your hips are smaller you ARE seeing weight loss!!! I think we need to learn to recognize the signs beyond the silly scale! I sometimes notice my clothes fit better a week or more before the scale (which has a lot of variables to deal with) moves down.
  • Count me in. I can so relate.

After 4 weeks, I'm only a couple of pounds down, despite eating right and working out way more often than I ever did before (though not as much as I should.) But my clothes fit differently and my legs are changing shape, so that's cool.

I attribute the confounding weight to: being more consistently hydrated than I've ever been before, more muscles, water on muscles when they're sore (which is most of the time,) and hormonal fluctuations.

I used to weigh myself just once a week, but I've started doing it daily so that I can better figure out what's causing the weight to vary. I don't let it get me too down when it goes up. If weighing daily was sabotaging my efforts, I'd not do it. Somehow, when it goes up now, it just makes me mad and causes me to work harder, rather than give up. Didn't used to be that way.
  • Oh yeah I'm right there with you all!! I do weigh myself everyday because I find it motivating even if the number isn't going down (if it didn't go up I think YAY...if it went up I think better get moving)...but the way I look at it is no one but me knows what the scale says...on the other hand if my jeans are fitting better everyone can see how great my butt looks! So I'll take the lower jeans size over the lower number on the scale any day. If you really want to know if you are getting somewhere and they way your clothes are fitting isn't concrete enough why not get a tape measure and keep track that way?
  • I've now measured myself and will track how the measurements change. A couple of people have told me I look slimmer so that's enough motivation in itself. To **** with the scales, I can feel I've lost the weight, and as you've all said, that's what matters. My jeans are looser than they were and it's a great feeling
  • YAY EleanorR ... I have a cousin named Eleanor, I love that name...
  • My scale went up a pound and a half this morning (TOM, exercised hard yesterday) but my waist measurement is down an inch and a half. I'll take it!
  • Yay Beez that's better than a scale result!
  • You know, should you ever want proof that the scale reading is of little consequence, just have a look at Meg's before and after pics in the goal album. I mention that because there is one pic that struck me- she is wearing a size 4 and looking fabulous and says that she weighed like 165 or something! You wouldn't think that would be the case at all, but it is!

I remind myself of that pic everytime i get on the scale and don't see what i want- which is good because i go get out the tape measure and see what I DO want. Scales are the devil!