Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default has anyone done Dance Dance Revolution

Hi,

I'm trying to find differnt exercises that I can do with DD at home. She's sick of Tae Bo and hates Paula Abdul. While at gymnastics the other night I saw some kids on a DDR video game and they were moving! DD loves that machine as well and I know it comes in a Playstation Game. Has anyone done this as a workout and if so, would you consider it a low intensity cardio workout, medium or high. Is there a lot of variety on the disc? Does it come with a mat that tracks whether or not you are stepping in the right place? Can two people do it at the same time? What do I need to know before I go out and buy this.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

DDR's a good workout from what I've heard. I have the mat, but my game is still in transit (ordered online). But, from what I know of it, you can vary the intensity by varying what level you play at. If you buy the package deal, it comes with the mat, or you can buy them separately. I bought separately because I wanted to get the padded mat, since I'm going to be using it so much. If you have two mats, you can set it up to do multiple people *I think*.

Hunt for the DDRing My Way To Lean! thread in this folder, it's not on the first page, but it should be around somewhere. We were just discussing this very subject.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/113/115

Height: 5'4"

It can be low, medium, or high intensity which is what makes it so versatile and something that you can do for a very, very long time (I'm talking years and years here). The menu gives you the option to choose between "beginner", "easy", "standard", "heavy", and "challenge mode". And believe me, "heavy" is HEAVY! Whew!

As far as variety goes, if you mean song variety the games are Okay. I play DDR Extreme 2 and I think there's about 70+ songs in total. There may be more but I might not have 'unlocked' them yet. By 'unlock' I mean that there is a section of the game where you can go through a sequence of songs (master mode) and if you pass them all you get prizes...and the prizes include new songs to dance to.

If you buy a package, meaning the game and mat, yes, you do get a cheapie mat. If you stick with the game you most definitely will not want to keep the cheapie mat. You can either upgrade to a foam mat like mentioned above or go all out and get a metal pad. The cheapie mats slip and slide all over the place and you just end up getting frustrated because you ARE stepping in all the right places but the mat slides out from under you and the game registers all of your steps as missteps. After I had played for a couple of months and knew I was going to stick with it I bought a metal pad called a Cobalt Flux. It's the best mimic of an arcade that you can get that I know of. You can also buy an "Arcade Mod" which is an easy modification you can make to the pad so that the game play is almost exactly like a real arcade game (recessed panels, etc.). The Cobalt Flux isn't cheap but it is SO worth it! I never would have reached Heavy mode without it. Never.

Yes, two people can play at one time but it requires that you buy two mats and that can get super expensive if you decide to upgrade the mats. Still, there are many, many people who do this. Not only do they buy two mats to play with other people, but also to master dancing to two songs on both mats all by themselves --- on Heavy mode, no less!!!! That gives you an idea as to how intense the game can get. I've been DDR'ing for about 7-8 months now and there is no way that I can dance 2 songs on 2 mats without giving myself a heart attack.

My only advice to you about buying the set up is to start with the cheapie package. You want to make sure that's it's something you'll stick with before you shell out the bucks for the good equipment.

Good luck to you. And just for extra incentive I should mention that I lost 37lbs in something like 4 months playing DDR alone with a very moderate change in diet. And I had FUN doing it! It was and is a win/win situation in my case. Everybody's different but I've found that DDR is definitely my 'thing'. I'll still be dancing away when I'm 90yrs old, I'll bet. lol.

Hope this helped you out!
BattlingTheBulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #4  

It really DID help me out. I'm typically a Tae-bo, jogging (when its warm) elliptal and weights type of chick. However, my DD doesn't like Tae-Bo anymore and she can't work out in my gym. She doesn't have a weight problem, but I want to do more things with her other than watch TV or play board games. I know she likes this game, so I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks much,

Tiki
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #5  
Yvette

S/C/G: 161/137/125

Default DDR is a family affair

One of the great things I have found with the game is that it is a great way to spend quality time with my daughters. I have three daughters, ages 15, 12 and 7. They all three play with me (not at the same time, though it is possible to play with four players....just not enough room in my living room and I only have three mats). The other thing that I think is great is that we can all play on different levels and be challenged at whatever level we are on. Also, workout mode is a great way to keep track of all the calories you're burning. (More than one person can use workout mode at a time). Good luck and have fun!
Benjasmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #6  

This may be old news to some, but this morning I saw that Konami (makers of DDR games) have released 'DDR Universe' for the Xbox.

So, all of you with Xbox's can now join in on the fun with a decent DDR game!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #7  
Resident Witchling

Actually, Xbox has had DDR's Ultramix series for quite awhile. I've got Ultramix 4. Universe is the 360 version.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #8  

I bought the Dance Factory set plus an extra mat instead of DDR. I didn't particularly care for / know most of the songs on DDR or Supernova. I liked that Dance Factory let you use your own music. DD and I tried it last night, both the 5 songs that come with Dance Factory plus a ton of our own music and they were challenging. I didn't like the steps that Dance Factory generated to Prince (go figure) but the steps that the game generated to everything else were right in line with what was set up for the 5 programmed songs. We did okay on Easy, struggled on Normal and looked like two complete idiots on Pro. This is gonna be fun.

Tiki
Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #9  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

I bought DDR online, and it was the version that connects directly to your TV, not with a game cube or Xbox. It is VERY cheesy, and worse graphics than you would find in an Atari game. I'm not which is worse, the music or the graphics, but if you want to get movin' I suppose the quality shouldn't stop you.

Like most forms of exercise, if you keep at it, you'll burn enough calories to make your smaller.

Gingercakes
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #10  
Resident Witchling

Heh, Ginger, I looked at those as a possible alternative to real DDR games, cause they're cheaper. But I read some reviews, and people said the same stuff you did. Glad I got the good stuff.

Tiki, I've never heard of this Dance Factory stuff...can you link to where you found it?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #11  

Just make sure you read the reviews of Dance Factory before buying it. I was so excited when they finally released it until I read the reviews and then I decided I wasn't going to risk wasting the money until they get it right (which I think they will someday).
Old 02-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #12  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Im supposed ?? to be getting mine today for valentines i asked DH for it not only for myself but also for my overwieght babyboy he's 11 y/o and starting middle scholl next year were i found with my older ones can be very cruiel so i thought what a great way to get us both moving i love to dance and he's a huge gamer that loves to win so i thought HEY why not challenge him everynight to dance and try to beat me and he wont even realize he's exercising LOL
I'll let you know if i got it (finger's crossed )
Michelle
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattlingTheBulge View Post
Just make sure you read the reviews of Dance Factory before buying it. I was so excited when they finally released it until I read the reviews and then I decided I wasn't going to risk wasting the money until they get it right (which I think they will someday).
I agree.

The reviews weren't too hot.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #14  
Yvette

S/C/G: 161/137/125

707 Goddess: Have fun with DDR! What a great way to get yourself and your son moving. I play with my daughters all the time and they LOVE it! We have all benefitted from it, and we don't even feel like we are exercising. It sure beats sitting stationary in front of other video games (although I have to admit that I like those too). Good luck! Keep us up to date on how it goes!
Benjasmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/136/120

Height: 5'3

worth every penny, fun fun fun.
Samantha039 is offline   Reply With Quote