Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/243/180

Default Popping noise in hip

When I am doing like leg lifts or other exercises where you lift your legs while you are laying on your back, I am hearing a popping sound in my hip. Anyone else experienced this? It's not painful. It happens a few times and then stops. Is there a way to prevent this or something I should be concerned about?
Aggy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Runners sometimes get this. It might be your medial hip rotators are weak and inflexible. Strengthening them and increasing their range of motion will stop the pop. In runners who get this they can get hip bursitis (inflammation of the sacs that let muscles move smoothly over bone), a painful condition but you are not running so I doubt the risk is there.

Losing weight will help too.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #3  

What do you suggest for strengthening them Ian?
Old 06-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Get Flexible
--Sit straight in a chair with both feet on the floor directly under your knees.
--Place your right foot on the thigh of your left leg, resting the ankle just behind the knee.
--Contract the muscles in the hip and outer thigh of the right leg as you gently lower the right knee toward the ground.
--Use your right hand to gently press the right knee down while stabilizing and holding the foot in place.
--Hold for a second or two, release, and repeat 10 times. Repeat with the other leg.

Get Strong
--Sit in a chair.
--Loop a stretching rope around the arch of your right foot, keeping the ends to the outside of your leg.
--Lift the rope up to remove any slack.
--Place your left hand on your right thigh to stabilize the leg and keep your upper leg from lifting.
--Rotate the lower part of your right leg away from the center of your body. Gently pull on the rope to extend the range of motion.
--Hold for a second or two, release, and repeat 10 times. Repeat with the other leg.

Last edited by IanG; 06-28-2015 at 07:09 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #5  

Very helpful! Thank you!