Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My mom was fit with monovision for years and she loved it! I think it would drive me crazy!!! Although I am not yet in need of bifocals, I think I'll probably stick with my contacts for distance vision and get some good readers for close work. Every time I see my doctor, he checks to see if I'm in need of reading glasses (I was just in on Friday) and so far I'm still okay. I'm having a bit of trouble today, though. He's switching my brand of extended wear soft lenses and also changing the Rx. I have a trial pair on now, and they just aren't quite right. My astigmatism changed quite a bit since my last visit. I've also ordered a new pair of glasses (hopefully they will be okay).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #47  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Just to follow up in case anyone is still interested, I finally got my contacts yesterday and wore them to work out for the first time today. They are great. It feels so strange to be able to see clearly without wearing my glasses, almost like I am cheating somehow. But it was awesome to be able to see without having to push my glasses up my sweaty nose every minute. Very cool. Thanks everyone for your input; it was very helpful.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad I finally read this whole thread, because I've been considering contacts for a while now. I've been wearing glasses for ages, and I've always wanted to try contacts but I have that silly fear of touching my eyeball. I'm not sure if I can get over it! I really really want to, though. I think I look much better without glasses, but I'm pretty nearsighted. I haven't been to the eye doctor in a while, so I'm not sure of my prescription and all that. I definitely need an exam anyway, whether I switch to contacts or not!

Now that I run a few times a week, I think contacts would be a lot easier. When I sweat, my glasses slip off, and they're just annoying. I don't want to have to wear them when I do the 10k on March 31st, but I don't know if I have time to get contacts and adjust to them by then. Do I? I know NOTHING about contact fittings, and the prices for contacts, and how all of it works.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 PM   #49  

Soft contacts? Plenty of time.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #50  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I asked my doctor about contacts for the first time on Feb 16 and I had them and was able to wear them for a workout on Feb 28 (I had my fitting and took a few boxes home with me on Feb 27--my full supply will be coming in the mail sometime later). I still have a little trouble getting them in and out, but I'm getting better at it every time I do it. I have one-day disposables, so no worries about cleaning, etc. I'm surprised at how comfortable they are and how well they correct my vision.

The total cost for the fitting and a two-year supply came to a little over $500. It works out to less than $1 a day.

I've only worked out a couple of times with them and I'm already way happier than I was wearing my glasses. I'm especially looking forward to running with them. I definitely recommend looking into them.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #51  

Please don't swim with contacts on , unless you wear googles, you can get a bad eye infection from bacteria and parasites in tap water and chlorine water, which could produce a cornea ulcer that is very serious
Sunny21 is offline   Reply With Quote