Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default yoga = longer, leaner muscles?

Sorry, this has probably been asked a million times.

Theoretically, yoga will stretch you out and give you leaner muscles. Has anyone doing yoga found this to be true? I've got bulky thighs that I would love to have smaller, and I'm not sure if I want to devote all that time to yoga if it doesnt work.

Any ideas for leaner muscles? Running?

Thanks
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #2  

Height: 5'

I've been doing yoga since October of 2006 and carry most of my weight in my bum and thighs and hips. (I'm also doing Body Flex with the Gymbar as well as Pilates, btw.) I have to say that my thighs are definitely trimming, which is a bit odd for me. I can finally cross my legs again! I look pretty decent in a skirt that ends below the knee and it seems to be creeping up from the knees as well.

The flexibility is a charm as well - the more you find yourself able to do, the more you want to push the outside of the envelope. I'd love to wear shorts this summer and if I keep up with my yoga 3-4 times a week, I think I'll make it.
samanthaf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I can definitely attest that running is great to lean out thigh muscles, my legs have never been this lean. Yoga I've heard does the same thing, look at Madonna! Although I haven't experienced this myself and I did do Yoga regularly a long time ago... Yoga is great for many many other things like stress relief, relaxation, flexibility... Doing Yoga is not a waste of time one way or the other...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3

Thanks, guys. I'll give them both a try.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

There has also been a study and they aren't sure why, but over a 10 year period, people who do yoga regularly are less likely to gain weight than people who do not. Even though theoretically yoga doesnt burn that many calories.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
There has also been a study and they aren't sure why, but over a 10 year period, people who do yoga regularly are less likely to gain weight than people who do not. Even though theoretically yoga doesnt burn that many calories.
There could be a lot of reasons for this correlational finding -- people who like yoga may tend to be more into their health and watch their nutrition more than others, for instance. So, it may not be about the calories you burn doing yoga.

I just started doing yoga last fall and am really liking it. I've heard some controversy about whether it (and pilates) actually create leaner muscles (meaning it changes the shape of the muscle), but it does aid in flexibility, and I really like how I feel mentally after yoga.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote