Only 30mins to exercise - what do I do?

• I workout at gym by the office, which isn't close to home. The only time I can fit a workout in is during my lunch hour. However, by the time I drive to gym and change clothes, it only leaves me about 30-45mins. to workout. Can I get an effective weight loss workout with such little time? Has anyone been successful on such an exercise plan? Should I focus more on cardio or weights? I go the gym 5 days a week and if my schedule allows, Saturday am.

Any advice is appreciated!
  • 30 minutes a day, 5 days/week, can make a difference. If your goal is weight loss, I would suggest alternating cardio and resistance days. I personally believe both are great for losing weight, second only to a clean diet.

Cardio: mix up your cardio intensity ranges. One day do moderate, the next time, do higher intensity intervals. Of course, it all depends on how much you want to sweat, if you have to go right back to work.

Resistance: split your workout into a 2-3 day split. That is, work only a few muscles each resistance day. You should be able to focus on those muscles for that day in 30 minutes.

On Saturday, do an extra cardio. Also try to do some activity in the evenings- take a walk, join a class, if you can.

Hope this helps...
  • What about in the morning before work, or at night after work?
  • I usually only have time for a brisk walk at lunch, and then try to enjoy a satisfying meal. I find working out when I get home before dinner to be the most convenient. I don't go to a gym, though, and I work out at home. Today I knew I would be running late after work, so I completed my workout in the morning. I think it's important to find the schedule that works for you, but if you've been inactive, even 20 minutes 5X a week is beneficial. I would use that time in the gym for strength training since you have access to weight equipment. Lifting weights doesn't have to take as long as a cardio segment, I don't think.
  • if u like the gym, i would use 3 of the days for high intensity cardio workouts, running/uphill walking on the treadmill/heavy duty eliptical...the other two days do weight training,...my trainer placed me on curcuit training for weights..the whole body takes 30 min...15 reps 3x on 5 different machines for arms, 20 reps 3x on 4 diff machines for legs...and 3 reps 0f 15x abdominals...u switch from one machine to the next only after one repetition so u circle the gym quite a bit, but it keeps you from taking breaks btwn reps and gives each muscle group a nice relief!...lol...u should consult with someone on the training staff, or look online to make sure u are targeting all muscle groups and are doing the exercises correctly...believe me, i thought i was doing it correctly until my trainer showed me the actual way of doing the exercise! i also agree u should do something extra cardio wise on the wknds...a brisk family walk...some videos...try biggest loser, its fun, and u can feel the burn!...good luck figuring out your schedule!
  • Okay, so here's my planned workout routine for today:

5mins - fast walk on tredmill at level 3.2 on incline of 4
    10min - run on no incline
    5min - stair climber - as fast as I can handle it w/o falling off the machine
    20min - weights focusing on legs

THEN GET THE OUTTA THERE QUICK CUZ I'M GONNA BE LATE BACK TO WORK!

Do you think that would be an effective routine? I can alternate the weights - one day legs, one day arms, one day back/abs. Hopefully I can make it to the gym on Saturday for an hour cardio and then a good weight work out and a swim!

I've set a mini-goal for myself of 10lbs by the end of April. I hope that's not unrealistic.
  • I would go with what NorthernBelle said one day weights, one day cardio so you can do a good job at them both...

I would never mind going to the stair climber and do intervals on the treadmill only, you waste time changing machines , the next time you do cardio do the whole half hour on the stair climber ...

Here are some split workout templates for you to use...

Hope this helps keep us posted on your progress ...
  • i agree, stick to one machine...and alternate days you do weights, with days you do cardio....its more effective for u to have a rise in heart rate for 40 min straight 3 x per week, than 20 min 5 times per week! and dont push your self too hard...set goals that are outrageous, cardio for an hour, plus weights, plu a swim on a saturday...thats too much...how about just cardio...and maybe a swim to relax...2 times a week for weight is plenty esp if your starting out...do the whole body on each of those days...you'll be good to go...you dont wanna push to hard and fall off the wagon!
  • Update - I did said workout which I planned above, and felt really sick to my stomach about 15 mins. later

Today I'll do just the cardio. 15 minutes stairs and 20-25 treadmill. I just hope my legs can handle it The weight work I did on my legs yesterday have me walking funny today I'm oh so sore!

Oh, one more question - since you guys are all knowing....

What are those big rolling pin things that people use on floor? It looks like they are kneeding out their legs.