Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

Default yoga, pilates, bands, free weights, machines?

Does anyone know if resistance strength training using your own body weight, such as yoga and pilates is as effective as lifting weights? What about using the resistance bands? Where are you most likely to see results based on type of strength training?

Free weights
Machine weights
Yoga
Pilates
Resistance bands

I see these yoga and pilates instructors and they have great muscular bodies. Is that achieved without lifting weights?

I myself prefer free weights, yoga, pilates, and resistance bands. When I do free weights, it's usually on the stability ball or in combination with squats or plies. I've still never been able to correctly do one push up.

I'm still fairly new to this forum, so if this question has been answered, please let me know. Thanks!
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:45 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

IMHO free weights are the best since you can build up to lifting heavier than your own body weight. Eg if you do a bodyweight squat you are using your own bodyweight, however hold some dumbbells or put a barbell over your shoulder and you can lift more weight which will eventually build more muscle than if you only did bodyweight squats.

From what it sounds like you are doing everything correctly! Free weights and bands are good for building muscle and yoga and pilates are good for core strength and flexibility.

As for the push up - see "Mistressing the Push-up" http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=75

You're doing well - keep doing what you're doing and keep challenging yourself. Remember to change your routine up when your body gets bored, increase the weights when you think you can handle them and don't ever be afraid to try anything new.

:
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:20 AM   #3  

What's best is what you can stick with! I have a friend that loves yoga. I love free weights. She thinks I'm nuts. I think she's - well, she's got issues, but yoga is just one of them She needs to do yoga! I would never tell her otherwise. She's found her thing, and it works for her. I want the most efficient use of my gym time, and I think that's free weights.
MissDee is offline   Reply With Quote