3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Elliptical Machines (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/10227-elliptical-machines.html)

bonnysammy 10-14-2001 11:31 PM

Elliptical Machines

Does anyone use any type of elliptical machine? If so, what fo you think of it?

michellemeow 10-14-2001 11:39 PM

I have used them at the gym, and they are HARD!!!
I think the only thing harder is the stair machine. But at least I can do the eliptical machine!
I usually just do the eliptical machine after I have done my regular workout. I do it for about 10 minutes just to give myself one last little burst! :dizzy:

Amy8888 10-15-2001 02:40 PM

The elliptical is my favorite piece of exercise equipment! I use Precor (I think) at the gym. Great low impact workout, I could even use it a week after spraining my ankle this summer. It was hard at first but I gradually worked my way up in terms of time and resistance.

I also have the Orbitrek. However, it just does not compare to the quality of the gym machines and I still prefer going to the gym to use the elliptical, even though I have one in my own apartment. Good luck.

ras8779 10-15-2001 04:01 PM

Hi bonnysammy,
I own and Orbitrek as well and I love mine:D! It is a little harder to do then some other exercises but I'll tell you what it sure gets the heart going:). I noticed that QVC had an Orbitrek Pro for sale and it looked allot different from my Orbitrek but I really do like it. It's a great form of exercise.

bonnysammy 10-15-2001 04:07 PM

Orbitrek is the one I have! I just wanted to see what other people thought of it. I got mine through QVC. :)

AnnaS 10-19-2001 04:23 PM

I have an ellipictal machine from Sears and I love it! :) It's a great form of exercise that doesn't have any impact. I enjoy it. I'm also a runner and running is hard on my knees, so I find this a great alternative to running.

sychie 10-20-2001 10:38 AM

i use the ellipticals at the gym a lot, and i love them. much easier on my knees than anything else. i don't find them to be as hard as the stair machines (which i think are AWFUL), but they certainly are a good workout

bonnysammy 10-20-2001 02:14 PM

I didn't like the stair machine either. I don't think I was doing it right, because I never felt my muscles working, All I felt was knee pain.

AnnaS 10-23-2001 01:06 PM

Stair machines hurt my knees too. I hate them!

kewerner 11-02-2001 01:03 PM

I got an elliptical about a month and a half ago. I bought a nordic track with the arm things (what do you call them). I really like it alot, I just now getting to the point of not totally worn out when I get on it. I have noticed a difference in my butt and legs.

I got a great elliptical routine out of my shape magazine, let me share it with you all. It works-burns about 300 cal. a half hour.

5 min warm up (low intensity)

4 min with arms (moderate intensity) if you don't have arms raise resistance

3 min (high intensity) raise resistance

1 min (low intensity) raise resistance

Repeat the 3/1

3 min (high intensity) go back to low or no resistance

1 min (low intensity) low or no resistance

Repeat the 3/1

5 min cool down

its sounds like its complicated but its not give it a try-i have it taped to my elliptical-it works.

bonnysammy 11-07-2001 07:38 PM

Cool! Thanks! I am going to try that righ tnow!

:)

Sunshine101 11-14-2001 08:17 PM

I love the ellipticals as well! You can get ones with moving arms or no moving arms, it depends what you want. I find the ones with the moving arms are harder. With the ellipticals, you get a great workout and can go either forwards or backwards to work different muscles which is great! :)

2BFIT1 11-15-2001 06:41 AM

Just for fun, try this.....it only takes 12 minutes!!!!!

On the elliptical:
Min. 1-4: go at a 50% pace

Min. 5-8: alternate with 20 seconds as FAST as you can (sprint), 10 seconds at a slow pace (to catch your breath), 20 sec. at sprint, 10 sec. slow, etc.

Min. 9-12: return to the 50% pace to cool down

This was featured in the Dec. issue of Muscle Media in the article called "Guerilla Cardio". It will definately get your heart rate and breathing going.
~~~Sil

bonnysammy 11-15-2001 01:06 PM

I will have to try that! :)

kewerner 11-15-2001 03:11 PM

good idea

That is a great workout! I am going to try it tonight when I get off of work. What's so great about it is, there are so many times when I don't wake up early enough to do a 30-45 min workout. That is perfect just wake up 15 min earlier and do it in the morning. I think it would give you great energy for the morning! I'll reply tomm. and let you know how it works.