Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default A mile on a machine

So I LOVE my elliptical and cross trainer(at the gym that is) and I know about the calorie counter maybe not being exactly spot on-but what about the distance counter? I was really excited the other day because I ran a mile on the cross trainer in under ten minutes- a best for me....and the trainer said that maybe that wasn't exactly right because a "real runner" strives to make a 14 minute mile on the ground. So it didn't discourage me since, like I said, I'd never hit the one mile mark under ten before but I don't want to go around telling people I ran a ten minute mile if I really didn't. I just get so irritated at the end of ten minutes and the screen says I ran 0.99 miles!!! Grrr! Anyone else?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
....and the trainer said that maybe that wasn't exactly right because a "real runner" strives to make a 14 minute mile on the ground
A 14 minute mile is SLOOOOOOOOOW, for a runner. That isn't even a running pace. I think you probably did do a mile in 10 minutes. That is a nice steady pace (not fast, but not super slow) for a jogger. I am a "real runner" and I do about a 9 to 10-minute-mile for most miles. Not slow, but not racing by any means either. I think the machine could easily have been accurate. By what you've said, the machine sounds more accurate than the trainer.
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimLindy View Post
A 14 minute mile is SLOOOOOOOOOW, for a runner. That isn't even a running pace.
That's not even JOGGING pace. It's brisk walk (not even a 'race' walk).

What type of machine were you on? I'm not familiar with a 'cross trainer'.

It's possible you went a mile one what ever a cross trainer is.

I know it's easier/faster for me to 'bike' a mile than it is for me to run a mile.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #4  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the responses guys!! I feel better now!

A cross trainer (at my gym anyways) is alot like an elliptical but the stepping is more like a stair climber. And the arms move farther unless that's just me.

Oh yes, doesn't it feel great to bike 10 miles? When I was in an exercise challenge, I "cheated" and switched over to the bike to help me rack up the miles!
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote