Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #1  

Default Never thought I'd be a runner

6 months ago I rescued a dog. At the time, I was 314lbs and he was 5 lbs overweight. My commitment to get him healthy I knew would be good for me. At the time I started Jenny Craig and got down to below 300, and one day, wanting him to get a little more exercise, I found myself jogging. Me, jogging. I'd only go for a house or two, then walk, then do the same, not really feeling challenged by it, but pleased that I could run that much for a fat chick.

Then yesteday it was raining, so I went on my treadmill. I found I could do on it what I never thought I could. When I first got the treadmill years ago, 2.8 seemed fast. Then at 314, I thought 3.4 was fast.

Well, here's my current routine. For just 20 minutes I run 1-2 minutes at 3.8-4.0, then walk 1-2 minutes at 2.8, then cool down last 2 minutes of 20 minutes at 2.5. FWIW, my heart rate during this is 136-168/171.

Ironically, though I'm only burning 160 calories or so according to my machine, I lost 3 lbs recently.

What amazes me more than the fact I can run at an MPH I thought I couldn't is that after I've cooled down I think to myself, hmm, I could do that again.

I'm proud fo me.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'5

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xanadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #3  
Meg

What a great story! And did you know that what you're doing (interval training) is absolutely the best cardio for fat burning?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Congrats on your weightloss and on running... Now you're hooked ... Join us on the Cool Runners thread...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
What a great story! And did you know that what you're doing (interval training) is absolutely the best cardio for fat burning?

Yup!

My hope is that 20 minutes daily will be enough. I'm tired of overdoing it, putting in 1-2 hours and not seeing results. Now that I'm really pushing myself, hopefully that will change things.

I'm finding 20 minutes mentally easy. Not a huge commitment so easier to maintain. I do it first thing in the a.m. and my dog watches me as if to say, good, you do that, I'll sit right here, LOL.

I'm also finding that I can push myself for that 1-2 minutes running, whereas I don't think I could handle 20 minutes straight running (yet).

I do think I'm almost ready to go to 4.2, but I don't want to push my heart rate over the top or risk shin splints since I'm carrying such an extra load.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225.5/219.5/135

Height: 5ft 1in

Great job on you weight loss...I am 225.5 was 230.8. I just started wking out since the new year, I am trying to loose some weight, (100 lbs), well I got on my treadmill and also found that I can run 1/4 of an mile. I thought that was pretty good for being someone of my size. So now I run a 1/4 then power walk a 1/4 I am up to 2 miles . I am trying to wk on being able to run a mile. Hugs Christine
Sillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225.5/219.5/135

Height: 5ft 1in

I am running at 5.0 thats what the T-mill says. Maybe that is why my shins and ankles are killing me, maybe I should slow down?
Sillymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #8  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!! I'm another one who never thought I would be a runner.

You don't have to be svelte in order to run!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillymom View Post
I am running at 5.0 thats what the T-mill says. Maybe that is why my shins and ankles are killing me, maybe I should slow down?
Can you run with an erect posture? If you are slouching while you run then you probably are going too fast.

From what I understand, shin splints are usually an overuse injury so you are probably overtraining whether it be going too fast, adding minutes too soon, or both.

And if you haven't been properly fitted for a running shoe, then it is probably a good idea to do so. If you are wearing a shoe right for your foot, it may be time for a replacement.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillymom View Post
Shin splints are usually a old or unsupportive shoes issue. If you are going to run get REAL running shoes from a real running store. Yes they are expensive, yes there really is a difference between the $40 Adidas or Nike that you can buy at "Foot locker" and the $90 Adidas or Nike that you buy at a running store.

Your body will thank you
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #10  

I was jealous of the poster who could do 5.0, so I tested mysellf today and found I could manage 4.4. Yeah for me!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #11  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I never thought I'd be a runner either (great topic, by the way) and I'm not there yet. I've just started and can jog at 4.5 on the treadmill for what feels like forever but I get bored, and am trying for distance to keep myself motivated so after a bit I crank it up to 5.0 or 5.5. This leaves me winded but I get a good workout. Hoping to eventually make it to 5km...then I'll call myself a runner!

I see people around me running at 6.5 but who cares really and maybe one day that will be me!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote