Treadmill Fan, literally

• My treadmill has little fans built into it. I put them on low sometimes. They blow air towards my face. Does this have any effects on calories burned? I noticed I don't sweat as much with the fans on...
  • I have a stand fan next to my treadmill and always use it when I walk. If I don't have the fan, I literally can't walk 15 minutes without feeling miserable and quitting. With the fan, I can walk for an hour.

I read an article last year about this that said it did not matter if you used a fan or other method of cooling when you work out, that you would burn the same number of calories. I wish I had bookmarked the article, but unfortunately I didn't. I recall reading about it either on CNN or Yahoo news. I'm obviously not an expert on this, lol, and someone else may come along with another study to show otherwise. I just remember being relieved when I read it
  • I don't have a study to cite, but no, the fans have no effect on the calories you burn. What they're doing is causing your sweat to evaporate faster and you to feel cooler (breeze on wet skin) but they're not changing your energy expenditures/level of effort.
  • Oh ok thats good to hear, thank you